Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today started out like a great day for a long ride, but I wanted to get the brake fluid changed before heading out. My V2K is an '06, which I purchase new in May of '08. It currectly has 8400 miles on it and has never given my anything but "smiles". That is, until today! I maintain my bike myself (been doing my own for 40 + years), except for tires and any major issue.
After I changed the brake fluid, front and back, I decided to test run the brakes, before taking my wife out for a ride. The bike has sat for the last several days, do to rain here in New Jersey. The engine cranked fine and started without a problem; After warming up the engine for 30 seconds or so, I put the bike in gear, slowly let out the clutch and started to roll. With 10 or 15 feet, I suddenly heard ( and felt!) a very loud, metallic "SNAP" as the bike stopped running. My heart was in my throat! My wife was standing about 30 or 40 feet away and heard the SNAP. I waited about a minute and tried to start it again. The starter spun the engine normally, but the bike refused to start and sounded strange.
I called my insurance company (Rider- great people to deal with!) that covers my towing for 35 miles, and then my Kawi dealer. The tow truck came within 45 minutes, hooked up the bike in about 30 minutes. We dropped it at the dealer and I detailed what had happened. After writing up a service slip, we went out to see if the bike showed any damage, which it didn't. He then tried to start it. The bike did start after several seconds, but didn't sound right. It sounded like it was running on one cylinder at first and was running rough. After 20 or 30 seconds, it sounded somewhat better, but something isn't right internally. The dealer is closed Mondays, but will contact Kawi on Tuesday to get authorization. This is the first V2K that I've heard of that has had any engine failure with so few miles. The dealer said that he'd never seen problem like this on a V2K. The only thing I can say, is that I'm glad that I took the extended warranty on the bike ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts