Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys I am changing my oil this weekend becuase it's starting to get really dark colored and I am unsure of when the last time it was changed (I bought it used a couple months ago). The guy I bought it from said it was done less than 1k ago but he was a college student and I am not sure if I really trust that he knew....

I know the viscosity is SAE 10W 40 (plus it says that on the oil cap) I looked on the manual to see how much oil I need to buy and it had all these abbreviations for grade? like SE, SF, API, SL, JASO MA??? (See pic)

I have always used regular oil (usually synthetic) I purchased from autozone/ walmart.

I have a 2002 Vulcan en500- Do you know what "grade" I need to get? and how much I need to purchase?

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
Grades now are going to be: SJ or SL or SM or SN with JASO MA and/or MA1 and or MA2.
Get your favorite oil in the highest S? grade as long as it has the JASO certification along with it. For example.
SAE 10W-40 SL-SN / JASO MA.
It may also have some C grading in there like CJ-4. That is okay too as long as it has all the rest.

·
Registered
507 Posts
There really is a reason for special motorcycle oil. Cars don't use crankcase oil in the gearbox, and they have dry clutches. For our Japanese bikes, the same oil is lubricating the engine, gearbox and clutch. Automobile oils contain "friction modifiers" that make them more slippery than motorcycle oil. Motorcycle oils are formulated to optimize performance doing three really different jobs. The MA designation means it is meant for a wet clutch/shared gearbox and crankcase setup, the MB is for Beemers and Harleys with their dry clutches.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Out of curiosity, would 15W-40 be OK in the Philippines?

As I understand it the lower number is for cold weather and since the ambient here can get 25-30c I don't see why it would be any worse than 10W-40. The only reason I care is here the 10W is twice as expensive as the 15W and I make Pesos now, not USD...

·
Registered
521 Posts
Out of curiosity, would 15W-40 be OK in the Philippines?

As I understand it the lower number is for cold weather and since the ambient here can get 25-30c I don't see why it would be any worse than 10W-40. The only reason I care is here the 10W is twice as expensive as the 15W and I make Pesos now, not USD...
It would work fine.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Good comments. I like Biker Bill's the best...I think the consensus is he is our go-to go on just about any questions about 500s. A number of others are highly thought of as well..

Though expensive, I use the K&N brand filters because they have a nut stamped into the front top of the metal jacket of the filter..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts