Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My 03 VN800A is having some trouble. I had some work done on it this past year; valve clearances, some gaskets/seals on the engine, got a new set of vance and hines cruzer exhaust pipes, and a stage one dyno kit I did to the carb.
I put it all back together a few weeks ago, and on my first ride, within minutes started to have issues.
The engine simply shuts off, either it begins to sputter or hiccup, or it just shuts off without any warning. It also won't turn back on immediately, but always turned back on after a few seconds, or a few minutes It happened a dozen of so times within 10 miles, and I limped home. Odd thing is, this happened two times the year before, with no work done to the bike, happened once in summer and once in fall, so very spread apart then.
This morning, the bike has trouble turning over, and starts to run when I twist the throttle hard, I only moved it 20 feet to my garage and it died when I let go of the throttle.
I've been given several scenarios, I was hoping for some advice on these:
1) Running rich or lean and to check my plugs
2) Possibly a bad ignition coil
3) Faulty kickstand switch (I plan to bypass this soon)
Its starting to get warm out and I'm starting to get desperate, please help!

·
Banned
179 Posts
Sounds more like carburetor trouble to me. If he had to keep the throttle open to keep it going then it shut down when he let go of the throttle. I would say the floats are either in the wrong position or bad or just stuck. Sounds fuel starved. This is just my opinion and can easily be checked out quickly. Sounds like this to me being said he just put it all back together after working on the carburetor. Things happen sometimes when you take stuff apart and get one thing in wrong on the rebuild. I will sit back now and see if the Mega Geniuses on here can get it fixed for you.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Right now, one does not know FOR SURE if it is flooding, starving or electrical, so a good place to start is to check the plugs. They always have a story to tell, easy to do and a good place to start.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Once I get the availability over the next few days, I will post pictures of the plugs. I posted elsewhere and someone suggested the float also, so I'll have to check that also

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Hi all,
My 03 VN800A is having some trouble. I had some work done on it this past year; valve clearances, some gaskets/seals on the engine, got a new set of vance and hines cruzer exhaust pipes, and a stage one dyno kit I did to the carb.
I put it all back together a few weeks ago, and on my first ride, within minutes started to have issues.
The engine simply shuts off, either it begins to sputter or hiccup, or it just shuts off without any warning. It also won't turn back on immediately, but always turned back on after a few seconds, or a few minutes It happened a dozen of so times within 10 miles, and I limped home. Odd thing is, this happened two times the year before, with no work done to the bike, happened once in summer and once in fall, so very spread apart then.
This morning, the bike has trouble turning over, and starts to run when I twist the throttle hard, I only moved it 20 feet to my garage and it died when I let go of the throttle.
I've been given several scenarios, I was hoping for some advice on these:
1) Running rich or lean and to check my plugs
2) Possibly a bad ignition coil
3) Faulty kickstand switch (I plan to bypass this soon)
Its starting to get warm out and I'm starting to get desperate, please help!
its odd that it happened twice, with big gaps between. a best guess would be bad fuel on those occasions.
But now its more likely that you have the wrong jets and / or settings.
The stage 1 dyno kit is designed for a racing engine on the track. Its not a lot of use for road.
You make no mention of an air cleaner mod. If you have the stock cleaner and a dyno kit, you are WILDLY over gassed.

strip the carb, check the float level (unlikely to be wrong unless someone was heavy handed, but its possible).
Let us know the following.
1/ do you have an after market air cleaner?
2/ main jet size
3/ pilot jet size
4/ air screw turns out
needle used, and if theres a clip, what setting is it on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts