Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I did some searching and couldn't come up with anything so I'm hoping that someone can help me figure out what is going on. There is a link to a video that I'm hoping works (if not let me know)... The noise only starts after riding for a half hour or more and at first sounded like the cooling fan or something in that area. The noise is unaffected by speed or gear and the video was taken after riding it a little while while it was sitting in neutral. The bike is good on oil and coolant but i am not sure where to start looking. The bike is a 2005 also

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8i7TOPHfE7ZdEY3WFZKbmtQMlE

·
Registered
20 Posts
My guess is on the cooling fan kicking in. Though I've only had my V2K for two weeks, it sounds similar to what happens on my other bike (Suzuki Volusia) when going really slow (e.g. traffic jam) or when idling on a warm day. These bikes are only partly liquid cooled and still relies on air flow once the temperature rises enough.
The cooling fan would be unaffected by speed or gear.
From the service manual:

When coolant temperature is below 58 ∼ 62°C, the thermostat closes so that the coolant flow
is restricted through the air bleeder hole, causing the engine to warm up more quickly. When coolant
temperature is more than 58 ∼ 62°C, the thermostat opens and the coolant flows.
When the coolant temperature goes up beyond 100 ∼ 110°C, the radiator fan switch conducts to
operate the radiator fan. The radiator fan draws air through the radiator core when there is not sufficient air flow such as at low speeds. This increases up the cooling action of the radiator. When the
temperature is below 97 ∼ 103°C, the fan switch opens and the radiator fan stops.
If this happens excessively, it might be a good idea to check the coolant quality and maybe replace it if you've never done it before. Also check if the overheat indicator light go off when you hear this sound.

One more snippet from the service manual:
Cooling System Flushing
Over a period of time, the cooling system accumulates
rust, scale, and lime in the water jacket and radiator. When
this accumulation is suspected or observed, flush the cooling system. If this accumulation is not removed, it will clog
up the water passage and considerably reduce the efficiency of the cooling system.
Let us know if you need help on how to check the coolant quality.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it's not the fan because I can hear it even when I can see that the fan is not running. initially i thought the fan but then i noticed that it was switching on and off and i could still hear the noise

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
It didn't sound like the fan to me either. My fan has the wind up and wind noise, there is no mistaking it. That high pitched whine is new to me.,.....

Sorry I have no clue.........

·
Registered
860 Posts
A lot of us have struggle with a noise (I sure did) that was very hard for me to pin-point, I had described it like a toy helicopter that would start out of nowhere but mine would only sound at certain revs.

After a long time having to live with it I ended figuring out it was a rattle of the nacel, turned out it is a common problem and it has to do with a lack of soft material between the cover and the body of the big bucket of the bugeye, I think (that's where I eliminated the rattle it eluded me for almost a year).

There are several threads on this issue in the 4um.

The way I finally caught it was a time I was riding without the fairing and I when I heard the noice I was able to reach out and hold the rim of the bugeye and that was it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Same noise

Hi Jtoad, just joined again today after losing details of last account, one thing that prompted me to get back in touch with these knowledgeable people was that noise, not having ridden my bike for some months on a ride last week i have discovered the very same noise as you, thought it was perhaps the fan driving all the time but not that, no effect with revs or in or out of gear, i have had the bike 9 years and done 22000kms of its 44k and never heard this noise, seems to come in a few minutes after starting? i really hope someone knows what may be going on. I wont be able to get mine to the shop for about 3-4weeks to see what they can find, will need a fix on the neutral light issue at the same time. will try and get a sound vid like you to post.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Just spit balling here but have you looked at your AIS plumbing (if still fitted). Maybe a hose is damaged or your blanking bungs damaged? Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
update... turns out when the previous owner put on the thunder intake they plugged the intake hose for the AIS but never removed it. I finished removing all the extra hoses and valve and capped off the ports on the heads. after warming up the bike and going for a short ride the noise still came on after about 10 minutes.

a friend of mine said that it sounded like the fuel pump... if I put my ear to the tank it is ridiculously loud but that could just be the noise resonating in the tank from underneath. is it possible that the fuel pump is going and making this noise? is there a way to test it without just throwing money at it to replace it??????

·
Registered
20 Posts
During startup (turning the key) there is a whirring sound. Is this the fuel pump? If so, is this the same sound you are hearing later?

Another thought, could the water pump or the oil pump make that noise in general or when damaged? Are both of them supposed to run at all times or only once the bike get up to a certain temperature?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, after reading a lot and a couple people telling me that it sounded like the fuel pump I decided to spend the $60 on a new pump. I installed the new pump and at first it seemed to solve the problem but after a 10 minute ride the same noise was back and i'm right back where i started.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so the problem is definitely the fuel pump... not sure why the new one is as loud as the old one. The service guy at the Kawasaki dealer said that it was because I put an aftermarket fuel pump in. Kawasaki wants $640 for the whole fuel pump assembly!!! the only thing that I can think is that something in the assembly is blocked so the pump is working harder which is what is making the noise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Jtoad, thanks for that info, i am still s few weeks away from having time to look at mine but i certainly appreciate i that you have narrowed this down as i am sure mine is the same noise, $650 US for a new one, i hate to think what the stealers here in Aus will want for one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Jtoad, any more progress with the pump/noise issue, i have just fitted my fuel pump back in after removing and inspecting, the teabag filter screen was very clean with no build up like i had seen on some vids so gave it a general clean, the pump itself i ran up using a small 12v and it did not sound that loud, ran a little wd40 through it anyway although i realise this will flush pretty much straight away, wont get to ride it for a few days but expect it will still be noisy as i didnt really do anything(except adjust the idle down somehow slightly)
Actually started the bike again today and it would fire but not run for more than a second so looks like ive done something wrong, about to pull it apart again.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sorry, it's been a busy couple of weeks!

so after changing the pump for a second time (bought a Quantum one) the noise went away and ran great for about an hour then the pump completely failed and left me on the side of the thruway... after getting the bike back to my garage we stripped it down again and figured why not try the original pump one more time to see what happens. after getting everything back together the bike is completely fine now and running great.

all we can think is that something got in the tank (either bad gas or something) and was messing with the injectors possibly. I was running sea foam in the tank all the time I was messing with changing pumps so maybe that cleared/broke free what ever was in there????

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Jtoad, thanks for the info, lets hope it continues to run for you, i started a diff thread on this same Vulcan 2000 forum "starting issues" if you wanted to see what had happened with mine, still none the wiser for the original noise like yours and unsure if it will come back, i almost ordered a new pump but will wait and see, we cannot get Seafoam here i will try and find an equivalent, hopefully ride the bike this week, certainly stressful as i had imagined trying to get it out of a steep driveway or loading it on a bike trailer in that driveway if it would not run, biggest pain was the three plug connectors, i think the lugs in those are worn down so will tape them once its all back together. Next prob is the Neutral light issue which requires a bit of a pull down. cheers Mick.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts