Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06' 900 now has 71k on it and recently a noise that sounds like it's coming from the engine has cropped up only intermittently usually but not always during acceleration more often under a heavier load such as climbing a grade and lasts only a second or two. It kind of sounds like gravel flying off the tire into the front fender.
Iv'e read of cam chains making some noise that was solved by putting spacers behind the tensioner bolt but this was on Nomads and other larger engines. I fired off an e-mail to the manufacturer of these spacers Chucksters Customs and their reply was "I'm unaware of the 900 engine needed them" so I'm posting to see if anyone has any additional input.
Also I'm a believer of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" The bike runs well otherwise and delivers 54-56 mpg's as long as I'm not riding shall we say "aggressively".
I'm not going to tear down the engine looking for Phantom engine noises until I have better direction.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your post Steve. Iv'e never checked valve lash. I'm all for preventative maintenance but also I'm cautious about opening a can of worms. I have never had this many miles on a bike so I never had to venture into these kind of repairs. I guess its time to get the manual out. I was looking for direction on the noise I was hearing so I think this is where I'll begin to look.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I hear that all the time when riding behind the guys with after mkt. pipes. I thought it was gravel at first but found i=out it was just the pipes. Hear it all the time.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear that all the time when riding behind the guys with after mkt. pipes. I thought it was gravel at first but found i=out it was just the pipes. Hear it all the time.
Hi Sage, I have heard a couple of guys mention that my bike sounded slightly different and I'm assuming that is due to age. I am running the stock exhaust but it's possible the baffles are beginning to break down. I don't have any familiarity with the construction techniques or the materials the Mufflers are made with, are they subject to corrosion or perhaps they're made of stainless steel or another alloy?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
My 06' 900 now has 71k on it and recently a noise that sounds like it's coming from the engine. I'm not going to tear down the engine looking for Phantom engine noises until I have better direction.
r9'r,, you live in Ny and it will be snowing soon.. watt, you aint gott no cahonies for this project?.. it will be another 9 months b4 you can ride again. do it. while yor in there, stuff a bigger motor under her skirt.) poncho

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
r9'r,, you live in Ny and it will be snowing soon.. watt, you aint gott no cahonies for this project?.. it will be another 9 months b4 you can ride again. do it. while yor in there, stuff a bigger motor under her skirt.) poncho
Alright Ponch, No need to remind me of the snow situation just yet! I'll continue riding until ice on the road becomes an issue but I do prefer to plan my repairs around the winter months. Last winter I replaced front and rear Wheel bearings and the Steering Stem Bearings, Brakes and a Tire. We have sufficient Testiculos y Las Bolas over here for the project but the time will be only available in the winter months when I'm not cuttin' and splittin' firewood! Were going to keep the 55 cubes under the tank but I have had my eye on a Nomad over in CT that has been garaged for a few seasons, it's been calling out to me, "Ride Me, Ride Me hard and Ride me long!"

Aight Playa, Adios mi Amigo!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts