Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all.

I have a question regarding my 2009 Nomad 1700. I have only had it a few short weeks. Not long after I purchased the bike I had the ECU replacement completed. But prior to that I didn't have a lot of ride time on the bike.

Since the ECU replacement, the engine vibration during acceleration has been more pronouned and there is a definite banging when the cylinders fire. At first I thought I picked up some bad gas but now that I have been through 3-4 tanks that cannot be it and I have tried different brands and octanes. It does smooth out as engine revs increase and engine load decreases.

Not having a lot of time on the 1700 I am curious as to what others' experience is. Should this engine be smooth as butter or is this normal for this high displacement monster.

Any advice would be appreciated before I take this thing back to the dealer.

Thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
There should be no "banging" sounds coming from the engine. I'd get it looked at

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
580 Posts
Good day all.

I have a question regarding my 2009 Nomad 1700. I have only had it a few short weeks. Not long after I purchased the bike I had the ECU replacement completed. But prior to that I didn't have a lot of ride time on the bike.

Since the ECU replacement, the engine vibration during acceleration has been more pronouned and there is a definite banging when the cylinders fire. At first I thought I picked up some bad gas but now that I have been through 3-4 tanks that cannot be it and I have tried different brands and octanes. It does smooth out as engine revs increase and engine load decreases.

Not having a lot of time on the 1700 I am curious as to what others' experience is. Should this engine be smooth as butter or is this normal for this high displacement monster.

Any advice would be appreciated before I take this thing back to the dealer.

Thanks
Just curious as to what RPM you are going up to prior to shifting. I see a bit of shuddering if I shift too soon and lug the engine. I normally short-shift from 1st to 2nd, then all the other gears I take it up to at least 2500-2700 RPM before shifting.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know, without a tach I am not sure. Certainly there is shuddering when lugging the engine and I understand that. But this would be at an rpm associated with 50 mph in 5th gear as an example and it happens in all gears, which I wouldn't expect in 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

I take two major roads to/from work that are 45 mph and I spend about 2 miles on each. I get shuddering when I try to accelerate in 5th gear at those speeds, some shuddering (vibration) in 4th.

It is that coupled with the knocking that has me concerned.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts