Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about intake, pipes and computer upgrades. Dealer installed for about $1600. I would like some more power, seems doggy for a 900 and I wouldn't mind a little louder. Anyone done this and regretted it?

·
Registered
357 Posts
"there's no replacement for displacement"

If you've done the "big 3" and still feel you need more then you may need a different bike?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
The 900 can actually gain a pretty decent amount of power; 50% or more. You might find you can do that stuff yourself for a lot less but, at $1600, for a pretty significant gain isn't bad.

Plenty will also tell you to just get a bigger bike but that's up to you. You can't buy a bigger bike for $1600! Even with the big 3, the 900 will never be a dragster or some big powerhouse. But it can get quite a bit peppier.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
The big 3, on a properly tuned bike takes the bike from around 43 hp at the rear wheel to around 60 to 61 hp at the rear wheel, that's significant, only you can decide on the $$$'s vs hp gain. If you do it, don't cheap out ... get a auto tune processor, it maybe a little more $$'s up front, but by the time you add in dyno tuning on other processors, it works out around the same cost wise plus you never have to worry about location and elevation changes

There is always a quest for more power, regardless of what size bike you have

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I think for the money spent that is an ample amount of gain!!! Ordering parts!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's whatever one prefers, really. I went with a set of V&H slash cuts, K&N, PC & Auto-tune. Seems to be somewhat peppier, and shaved some weight as well.

This little jewel is never going to outrun (or even keep up) with the 200+hp superbikes in the stable, but that's not what it's for. IMO, it's a boulevard cruiser, and a darn fine looking one, at that. Bought it new in 2007, made the performance and added a few minor cosmetic bits (difference mirrors, trimmed out the tank, etc.) and almost a decade later, still get compliments and thumbs-up from both fellow riders and 'cagers' at the stop lights.

Doesn't get much better than that. :good:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts