Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help trouble shooting an engine miss on my 06 900 classic. Starts well most times, runs out good, 5 min down the road at low RPM it will start to miss fire. If I can get the RPMs up it runs fine but will miss and die at the next stop.

I switched the plug wires to isolate an ignition prob, no change, replaced plugs, no change. Still seem to miss on the front cylinder.

Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I need help trouble shooting an engine miss on my 06 900 classic. Starts well most times, runs out good, 5 min down the road at low RPM it will start to miss fire. If I can get the RPMs up it runs fine but will miss and die at the next stop.

I switched the plug wires to isolate an ignition prob, no change, replaced plugs, no change. Still seem to miss on the front cylinder.

Any help/ideas would be appreciated.
Does your FI light come on while the engine is running? There are many, many, possible causes for the engine running poorly at low speed. Most causes will set off a FI warning light. Bad injectors, secondary side of coils, plugs and plug wires do not.
How old is your battery? Low voltage causes problems with the ECU. Check the tightness of your battery cables to your battery. Check ground connections too.
One last thought. Do you have an aftermarket fuel manager like a PCIII or Dobeck?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
re: eng miss

Thanks for your quick reply. FI light doesn't come on. Battery is old and needs constant recharge ( bike has sat up alot since I got a VTX 1800), connections are good. No after market fuel manager but do have V&H pipes. Bought it this way and ran great for a year.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Dayton,

Sorry that I can't help you with your problem, but do you know if that is the original battery?

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Thanks for your quick reply. FI light doesn't come on. Battery is old and needs constant recharge ( bike has sat up alot since I got a VTX 1800), connections are good. No after market fuel manager but do have V&H pipes. Bought it this way and ran great for a year.
Start with a new, fully charged, battery and check your grounds. The new battery should sit on your trickle charger (smart charger) over night before you put it in service.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I know for a fact a weak battery can cause misfires and other strange running conditions. Good advice sfair about checking the charging system. If the FI light is not comming on probably means you do not have any sensor issues which is a good sign. The service manual does have FI diagnostics which could help narrow down a issue if you had the light comming on. I would suggest getting rid of the old battery.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fixed

Thanks to all, The battery and new plugs did the job, she's puring like a kitten.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Thanks to all, The battery and new plugs did the job, she's puring like a kitten.
The final step is following sfair's suggestion and using a VOM meter check your charging system. Engine running at mid RPM should have you getting over 14 VDC but not much over 14.5. On mine, the highest reading is just above idle and then it tapers down a little the higher the RPM. Don't know if that's normal for a Vulcan regulator or not.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
The final step is following sfair's suggestion and using a VOM meter check your charging system. Engine running at mid RPM should have you getting over 14 VDC but not much over 14.5. On mine, the highest reading is just above idle and then it tapers down a little the higher the RPM. Don't know if that's normal for a Vulcan regulator or not.
I have seen it many times before. I believe it is from the slight increase in current demands from the ignition system and ECU (if so equipped) as RPM rises. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I would die as I came to a stop, battery needed regular charging. Checked my charging system found I was charging at 50% used a Ricks stator and hot shot rectifier all fixed!

Check your charging system!

M

1 - 13 of 13 Posts