Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 VN 2000 with 38.000 km on it. My engine is knocking at the first cylinder. My dealer messured the oil pressure. It was to high. he told me it is maybe the cranc shaft ir the cam shaft.

Did someone have had the same problem in the past?
Does somebody know a good shop to rebuild the engine?
I don't trust so much the dealer.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I remember recently reading a thread on another forum where someone was having the same noise ---was due to a internal screen in the oil passage--fix was to run sea foam in crankcase about 50-100 miles before oil change --from what I remember reading it cleared the problem up for several ppl---do a search and see what you can come up with---hope this helps

·
Registered
81 Posts
When did you first notice the "knock"? I have had my 2006 2000 LT Classic tick for a while when first starting it up after sitting all winter. It is just a collapsed lifter because the oil has bled out of it sitting so long and the tick goes away after say 10 minutes of riding.

·
Registered
102 Posts
hi,it would be unusual for an engine with a bearing problem to have too much oil pressure.usually not enough. i have been a motorcycle mechanic for over 40 years.if you cannot identify the noise the next step would be to remove and cut open the oil filter.hacksaw or chisel at the flange with the flange down so as not to contaminate the element in side.if you then cut out the paper element and stretch it out any bearing/damage material will be on the outside of the paper element.is the knocking worst under load.crank/piston noises will change with load.generally worse when accelerating cam chain/shaft noises only change with revs not load so can be tested with out riding.big end material is usually flakes of copper and silver coloured material

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
hi,it would be unusual for an engine with a bearing problem to have too much oil pressure.usually not enough. i have been a motorcycle mechanic for over 40 years.if you cannot identify the noise the next step would be to remove and cut open the oil filter.hacksaw or chisel at the flange with the flange down so as not to contaminate the element in side.if you then cut out the paper element and stretch it out any bearing/damage material will be on the outside of the paper element.is the knocking worst under load.crank/piston noises will change with load.generally worse when accelerating cam chain/shaft noises only change with revs not load so can be tested with out riding.big end material is usually flakes of copper and silver coloured material
Outstanding advice.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I remember recently reading a thread on another forum where someone was having the same noise ---was due to a internal screen in the oil passage--fix was to run sea foam in crankcase about 50-100 miles before oil change --from what I remember reading it cleared the problem up for several ppl---do a search and see what you can come up with---hope this helps
Many thanks.

Which kind of seefoam I have to use and how much I need? I dond think a whoole bottle?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi there and many thanks for your advise.

I have the knocking since last year and it get mor worse when the engine warm up. I read an other post here which have had may the same problem. I dont trust my Kawi Dealer. May I can bring my bike to you?

Many greetings

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is an other post I found. Looks like he have had the same problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Engine Knock

I had an engine knock from sitting over winter. It was a collasped lifter that would not free up. I went back to old school and drained 1 quart of oil out and added 1 quart of dextron trans fluid to the crankcase. drove like this for about 25 miles and it cleared right up. I drove an additional 300 miles and let the trans fluid do its thing cleaning the rest of the internals.

Trans fluid is a great cleaner and is very easy on the motor internals. I dont think you need to drive more then 500 miles like this though and then change filter and oil with new right away.

Dave

·
Registered
102 Posts
hi,if the noise has been there for many miles it is not likely to be crank bearings.they fail very quickly as a rule.is the noise there all the time hot or only when accelerating/decelerating.can you hear the noise without riding the bike? i live in new Zealand so cant help you with repairs.regards barry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts