Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told there is a coolant fluid called (I think) Engine Ice that is supposed to make the temps drop on an engine that typically runs hot (a 2010 V.V.). Does anyone have any experience/knowledge with that product? Is it safe for my bike? ETC? Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Using Engine Ice

I first put it in my 1980 Goldwing instead of the Honda Coolant and noticed a pretty good drop in temp. I live at the top of a long hill, and in summer, everything I drive is warm as I pull in. The Goldwing no longer got warm enough to kick in the aux fan. Subsequently, I put it in the Concours I had. Now I have it in my Voyager. I cannot say that either the Concours or the Voyager run "cooler", except that it takes longer and higher ambient temps for the aux fans to kick in.

From what I gathered in my research before I ever installed it, it is a good quality coolant with excellent corrosion inhibitors and mechanical seal (water pump) lubrication qualities. I have used it for six years now with no problems on anything I have used it in (including the original Goldwing I used it in, which I still own). I also installed it in my Daughter's Honda scooter that she rides all over Seattle. It's nice to just have one coolant that I use in all the bikes/scooters.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Used it on this scoot and my last two scoots..... I like it. It is a coolant replacement, not a mix. It works, but so do other options depending on where you live I guess. I used it all the time I was in Nevada and still do... where it got well over 100 degrees daily for several months. It is good tor 40 below...

Not cheap...

Just Google it and read all about it...

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,856 Posts
I'm due for an oil change soon so I guess I can change the coolant as well. Think I'll try the engine ice since we'll be seeing 100+ temps here soon.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Where is the radiator drain on the VV? Must you do a flush to put this in after draining?

The only bottles I can find are half gallon. How much is required to fill the VV radiator?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Good stuff. I think it is more efficient regarding removing heat from the engine. I let the bike idle until the fan came on and the temp never rises above that point. In fact, the fan actually cools down the bike enough to shut off the fan while still idling.

You need to follow the directions in the service manual very carefully to make sure you don't trap any air in the system.

Yes, you should flush the system when making the switch.

Racer_Phil, the information you seek is located in your manuals.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
It only comes in 1/2 gallon bottles... you will need 1 and 1/2 bottles including topping off the coolant overflow. You will need to clean that out too... do not mix engine ice with standard antifreeze.

Yes you must flush the system before you put in engine ice. It is not ethylene glycol... I strongly suggest reading the instructions and doing a Google search for engine ice to go on their web site to also see how to change you old antifreeze with engine ice.

Almost all of us flush out big black flaky stuff...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts