Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a month into my new 900c-midnight blue-awesome. After 5 years on my V750, which I truly loved, I am really enjoying stretching out on the forward controls. I have somehow managed to install a memphis windshield (mechanically challenged), a cobra sissy bar and luggage rack. I also have an Airhawk from my 750 days which is simply amazing.(no installation required.) From everything I read, engine guards should be my next investment. I would like something to match the aesthetics of the bike, and I am wondering if this something I can install myself or should I go to my dealer for this?
Cruising in Pittsburgh
Lee

·
Registered
343 Posts
Probably easier to install than the shield.I got this one on eBay & like it both for looks & high way pegs built in (use it all the time).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Need to check for conflicts with your forward controls..... but I recommend the cobra silly bars... strong and work well when you, uh, dump it... :rolleyes:

I am a month into my new 900c-midnight blue-awesome. After 5 years on my V750, which I truly loved, I am really enjoying stretching out on the forward controls. I have somehow managed to install a memphis windshield (mechanically challenged), a cobra sissy bar and luggage rack. I also have an Airhawk from my 750 days which is simply amazing.(no installation required.) From everything I read, engine guards should be my next investment. I would like something to match the aesthetics of the bike, and I am wondering if this something I can install myself or should I go to my dealer for this?
Cruising in Pittsburgh
Lee

·
Registered
68 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Engine guards are really easy to install. Four bolts, that's it. Functionally they are pretty much similar, choose by the looks.

I considered a few different models a while back. It's all about your personal preference. The Cobras seemed too round on the Custom (they seem to look better to me on the Classic), MC's look a bit too large (flat), and at the end I went with the Kawasaki OEMs. I got them on eBay for not much more than the Cobras. No horn to relocate, a well balanced look...

See for yourself - there is thread on the forum showing many different types of crash bars on the bikes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If I am not mistaken, with the Cobra, you will have to take out your horn and re-position it. Guys....correct me if I am wrong.

I went with the OEM for my 2010 900 Classic. They seemed to have the best in looks. Also, very easy to install.....4 bolts, thats it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Essential to the health of your motorcycle, and relatively easy to install. Ditto on start all bolts before you tighten any.

You're GONNA drop your bike. It's just a matter of time. It'll roll forward off the kick stand. It'll lean away from you and you can't hold it. Something will get you. A scuffed highway bar and a scuffed grip end are a heck of a lot less ugly, and a bunch cheaper to fix, than the alternative.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Essential to the health of your motorcycle, and relatively easy to install. Ditto on start all bolts before you tighten any.

You're GONNA drop your bike. It's just a matter of time. It'll roll forward off the kick stand. It'll lean away from you and you can't hold it. Something will get you. A scuffed highway bar and a scuffed grip end are a heck of a lot less ugly, and a bunch cheaper to fix, than the alternative.
Absolutely right!!!

Happened to me at Port Perry last weekend (saturday). Was parked at the plaza opposite the Tim Hortons to check my iPhone for the rest of my route. I was simply sitting on the bike when I felt it begin to lean to the right. I tried to prevent it from going down but there came a point where the weight of the bike took over and I had to lay it down. Could not get it back up again. I tried the maneauver they teach you to lift the bike but did not work. I figured there are lots of people around and someone is bound to come by. Sure enough, a dude in his truck spotted me and helped me pick up the bike. I think if I had the engine guards, they would have supported the bike to the point where I could have picked it up. First thing I did on Monday was order the engine guards.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I bought the O.E.M. because they came in black. Not much choice out there for the S.E. But you're right: my bike leaned over during a moment of stupidity and came to rest on the guard at about a 45 angle. Easy as pie to right it myself. Not even a scrape to the paint. Well worth the money.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Pretty straight forward. You should be able to handle it.

I've got the OEM's. Great fit and finish. Doing it yourself also allows you to doadditional simple things that the shop may not do. I added a bit of electrical tape around my frame pipes where the upper clamps bolt on. Extra padding should things giggle around. Avoids needles scrapes.

Ditto as to when and not if the bike drops...

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've seen this disclaimer on more than a few guard listings...Is this just them covering their butts?

"WARNING: This guard may provide limited leg and cosmetic vehicle protection under unique circumstances, I.e. tip over while the motorcycle is stopped. It is not manufactured, nor intended to provide protection from bodily injury in a collision with an automobile or any other object."

Think I'm going with the MC Enterprises guard. Looks OK and I like the price. Lindby was first choice but kinda pricey for me to get it past wife's approval.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I've seen this disclaimer on more than a few guard listings...Is this just them covering their butts?

"WARNING: This guard may provide limited leg and cosmetic vehicle protection under unique circumstances, I.e. tip over while the motorcycle is stopped. It is not manufactured, nor intended to provide protection from bodily injury in a collision with an automobile or any other object."

Think I'm going with the MC Enterprises guard. Looks OK and I like the price. Lindby was first choice but kinda pricey for me to get it past wife's approval.
I thought so too untill I figured in the extra costs of foot pegs (I knew I would eventually get them. I can't leave the bike alone for long). Then I thought, for just a little bit more....:D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Pretty straight forward. You should be able to handle it.

I've got the OEM's. Great fit and finish. Doing it yourself also allows you to doadditional simple things that the shop may not do. I added a bit of electrical tape around my frame pipes where the upper clamps bolt on. Extra padding should things giggle around. Avoids needles scrapes.

Ditto as to when and not if the bike drops...
Hi all, just got a 900 Custom. Ordered the OEM guards. Going to try to install them myself, dealer wants $150 to install. Any tips for a newbe :>)

·
Registered
300 Posts

Love the Lindy look myself, but they don't make it for the Custom. Went w/the MC-quick job as mentioned & horn move to install

1 - 20 of 22 Posts