Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
I purchased mine online (cruisercustomizing.com). I went with the Cobra freeway bars and love them. Easy to install and look great. I have pics posted in the picture thread (last page or two).

·
Registered
76 Posts
I also have the Cobra bars. Mainly got them because that is what my dealer stocked and as previously noted they are a piece of cake to install. Good and bad points: they appear to be well made and I like that they continue bar across top as a solid pipe as I feel this is a stronger guard than a bolt on at both top and bottom. They do seem to be a bit wider than other bars and can interfere with windshield lowers at full fork side-side pivot. Other bars I looked at either partially blocked oil filter access or bolted on top and bottom. Never really liked the looks of the ones that have highway foot rest built into the shape of the bar.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I ran out and snapped a couple pictures at work this morning. These are the Cobra gaurds. I really like them. Those are Kuryakyn small ISO pegs with the basic easy clamp mount. In a week or so I am putting some small (2.5") bullet driving lights on the same bar. I plan to hang them under the top part of the bar.

Sorry about the filthy bike. It has been to dark & cold when I get home from work to wash her. Not to cold to ride though. Hope the pictures help.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Nice pics Pirate!

Highway bars will be my next addition too, so I was wondering if the Cobra bars are generally thought of as "optimal" of sorts... (not overpriced, well made, no drilling, little or no interference with any additional mods...)

Can anyone who already went through the "which bars?" decision tell me what lead you to go one or the other way?

I would love to hear especially from the people who decided NOT to get the Cobras but rather some other alternative...

I believe this would be helpful to a few of us who are still deciding...

Thanks for your opinions.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Engine Guards-VN900

Nice pics Pirate!

Highway bars will be my next addition too, so I was wondering if the Cobra bars are generally thought of as "optimal" of sorts... (not overpriced, well made, no drilling, little or no interference with any additional mods...)

Can anyone who already went through the "which bars?" decision tell me what lead you to go one or the other way?

I would love to hear especially from the people who decided NOT to get the Cobras but rather some other alternative...

I believe this would be helpful to a few of us who are still deciding...

Thanks for your opinions.
It certainly is a personal choice with so many options out there. Personally, I do not like to have my eye taken off the bike by large loopy chrome guards and looked for an alternative. I also like to accent my bike with some black out items. I found that with a little fabrication re-work a set for the Suzuki 1400 Intruder was the answer to my search. Mounting brackets were easy to change and a 6" extension to the bottom middle (these bars are a two piece) was added for width. A little welding, grinding/polishing and the now one piece guard was ready for black satin powdercoat. Functional, narrow foot placement behind lowers, and not staring me in the face when I look at my ride, all what I was looking for. Found the used guards on ebay for $60, about an hour in rework and $20 for powdercoat, isn't customizing fun! Good luck!

·
Registered
600 Posts
MC guards dealer put them on before delivery. I like them a lot and they "did their job" not too long ago.............

·
Registered
487 Posts
What guard is "Rollingbones" running with??? I really like the looks of his in the last pictures he posted on the pictures thread! Maybe it's just the angle? That is a good looking machine he is riding though, but then again I haven't seen a bad looking Vulcan posted on this forum. :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought the Kawasaki engine guard from the dealer (K32000-045). I don't have any real opinion about them other than I think they look nice. Probably commonplace, but I'll attach a couple of pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
782 Posts
So many folks have chimed in I forget who was looking for engine guards to begin with. But looking at the pictures I see one major arguing point for choosing a particular set of bars. If you want to mount driving light, foot pegs, etc. to a set of bars, you need sections on the bars where they go straight uppy-downy on the sides and straight lefty-righty on the tops. The MC guards seem to have the most straight area. Cobra is sort of a middle of the road. A lot of rounded look with just enough straight to mount lights and pegs. The pictures of the Kawi bars seems to show almost no straight section on the sides. Just a thought to hopefully get your mind churning.

I chose Cobra mainly because I like the look and was familiar with the name. Being new to biking, I tend to stick with name brand stuff so I hopefully won't run into any poor workmanship or bad customer service. Good luck with your bar choices.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
MC guards here also. Bought em on E-bay.

I like them a lot and they "did their job" not too long ago.............
Ditto that...... Even when I came off the bike. It then high centered itself upright on the edge of the roadway. STILL RUNNING!

·
Registered
600 Posts

Ditto that...... Even when I came off the bike. It then high centered itself upright on the edge of the roadway. STILL RUNNING!

Exactly what happened to me !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Proud moment for the guards but not for me :(

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Pharoah,

Do you know the brand name? How are those mounted? Do you have a side photo showing that?

Thanks,

Frank
MC Enterprises is the make. Their page;
http://www.mcenterprisesusa.com/products/search/dsp_searchForm.cfm
Enlarge the picture, it shows 2 of the 3 mounting points. One at the floor board area another where the horn is(The horn gets relocated to a tab on the bar) It took less than an hour to install. :cool:

My photobucket page for more veiws
http://s572.photobucket.com/albums/ss163/Pharoah_2009/?start=all

A seller on E-bay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ENGINE-CRASH-FREEWAY-BARS-GUARDS-VULCAN-900-ALL-MODELS_W0QQitemZ290350069472QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item439a3676e0

·
Registered
242 Posts
Jeep Pirate: Can you post a link to where you bought the "Kuryakyn small ISO pegs with the basic easy clamp mount." I have the cobra freeway bars as well and the only 1.5 inch ISO pegs that I have found clamp to the top of the bars (which I don't want).

·
Registered
782 Posts
Jeep Pirate: Can you post a link to where you bought the "Kuryakyn small ISO pegs with the basic easy clamp mount." I have the cobra freeway bars as well and the only 1.5 inch ISO pegs that I have found clamp to the top of the bars (which I don't want).
I actually found mine at a local bike shop on the overstock rack. Someone had ordered them and then decided not to get them. However, if you go to Cruiser Customizing they are item# KY-8032. I am sure you can find them at other websites too. I looked at Motorcycle Superstore but it looks like you have to buy the clevis mount and the pegs separately. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
782 Posts

Pharoah:
Is there anyway I could get a close up view of how you mounted those driving light just above your turn signals? I am trying to do something like this just below the turn signals and am curious what solution you used. Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts