Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am making highway bars. The plan is to bent a 1" steel pipe to the desired shape, weld and either chrome plate or powder coat (I am leaning towards paint, chrome would make the bike too shiny, but that is just me). At this point I am done with bending. Since my HF bender could not accept the pipe as a single piece, I had to cut it in two pieces and will weld back. There are several ways of attaching these bars to a Vulcan 500 frame, and I haven't decided yet which one to follow. I would appreciate if those of you guys who have made your own bars could post close up pictures of how they are attached. Thank you! For some reason, my bars are upside down on the picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
Looks good. I am hoping to do something similar in the future. One thing you can do is take a look at some of the older threads about the highway bars and see where they are mounted to in those pictures to get an idea of where to mount them on the bike. Good luck, I can't wait to see the finished product!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Looks good. Nothing like doing something yourself and knowing you did it well and saved that $$$$

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey those look great!

If you lean the bike over, do they keep the bike from tipping over and causing damage (thinking low speed drops)?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you lean the bike over, do they keep the bike from tipping over and causing damage (thinking low speed drops)?
Yes, that's one of the reasons I made these bars. I slowly dropped the bike on my lawn to test - nothing got damaged, the bike just lays at an angle. There may be some problems with the mufflers, so I am planning to add a set of small rear bars. Still thinking about layout, because I want it to be a single unit together with a luggage rack... Will post pictures when everything is ready.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Good looking, functional engine bars, bredstein. It will be interesting to see what you come up with for the rear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts