Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about engine guard chaps for the winter. Most people seem to like them but I read one review where they said the chaps really affected the handling at highway speeds with blow back from a passing semi. :eek: As in a sail like effect. Anyone with experience? Don't want to suddenly have stability issues.

Thinking of buying some from Sagebrush .

http://www.sagebrushdesigns.com/kawasaki.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
VulcanJohn

Thinking about engine guard chaps for the winter. Most people seem to like them but I read one review where they said the chaps really affected the handling at highway speeds with blow back from a passing semi. :eek: As in a sail like effect. Anyone with experience? Don't want to suddenly have stability issues.

Thinking of buying some from Sagebrush .

http://www.sagebrushdesigns.com/kawasaki.html
Hi John I have sagebrush engine guards on my 2011 Vaquero...Love them...I even leave them on during warmer months...loosen the straps a little and they direct more air at the motor...they also protect from bug splattered pants,rain,rock,cold weather and accessional bird...Highly recommend them

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi John I have sagebrush engine guards on my 2011 Vaquero...Love them...I even leave them on during warmer months...loosen the straps a little and they direct more air at the motor...they also protect from bug splattered pants,rain,rock,cold weather and accessional bird...Highly recommend them
O yah....I have never experienced being blow around with them on....or a sailing effect..and being blow around while passing a large truck....I think we all deal with that...Its not because of the chaps.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have a set of Airlite chaps on my Nomad. I love them. Keeps you're feet nice and warm in the colder weather. And no, you can't even tell the difference whether they are on or not. Get some!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have sagebrush chaps on my V2K, have never noticed any handling difference at all. They work great in cold weather and rainy weather. The company was great to work with, custom fit for my bike and specific engine guards brand. They fit like a glove.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ordered Sagebrush Chaps

Odd order process. I tried to submit an order via their website through Internet Explorer twice. Didn't work page said something wrong with the website. Then tried Firefox. It returned a page that said thanks for the order. After that I got a phone call from them and they said they called me since the order actually went through 3 times.:eek: They confirmed my order and sent me a confirm e-mail.

Other reason to order them is when it is heavy fog water gets on the pegs and could be slippery :eek

Got the e-mail and can pay through Paypal. Will review when I get them.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Chaps

VJohn I think you will like them. I have a set for mine and they keep your feet dry and your legs warmer etc. I have no trouble with them on the interstate..

·
Registered
847 Posts
Chaps

I have a friend who has an upholstery shop, he also like to restore antique cars. I rode my bike to his shop and he made a set for me in about 30 min. drilled my bar for snaps etc. excellent fit and he didn't charge me. I expect a needed favor later....

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I have a set of dessert dawgs on my 900. They are great. Warmer feet in colder conditions and zero handling difference. You can have the off or on in 1 minute. I love them.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I have desert dawgs on my custom (cobra bars). I've never noticed any handling changes but they cut down a bit on wind up the pant leg issues.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Pics Sagebrush plain engine guard chaps on Custom

Just thought I'd post some pics of the Sagebrush chaps on my custom. I think they actually dress up the bike some. Wind is reduced off the feet and the lower legs. Will get to really test next week as the highs will only be in the mid 50's.

These really work well. These with heated gear (wonder why I never got some before) make the cold very tolerable.

Attachments

·
Registered
563 Posts
Looking good-mine went on a month ago and have stayed on. High today here in Manitoba is about 39, maybe I can ride a little bit next wknd-just too cold toay even with wind protection

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm really wanting some of these pretty soon. My legs get pretty soaked every time we get even a small sprinkle of rain.

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have desert dawgs on my custom (cobra bars). I've never noticed any handling changes but they cut down a bit on wind up the pant leg issues.
+1on the Desert Dawgs

I have used 4 sets from Leader and they have all been quality products. The last set I ordered were not as well sized as the other 3, but they still fit and work. Look better than some of the other brands also. The war dept leaves hers on year 'round.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I had my mother-in-law sew me up some a few years back from some marine grade vinyl I bought. It did stretch a little. I have seen some guys on rides that have a middle panel to cover fully across the front. It was removable so you you could remove it for slightly warmer months to keep the engine cool, it also had a section you could open for air. But I think with our liquid cooled engine and 40 degree weather the middle panel would hurt. I never got around to having her make that section. It seems like air still works it away around the chaps, and that middle panel would help alot. If I got windshield lowers it and full coverage chaps it might actually make for some warmer legs.

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
Very impressed!

http://www.chilhowee.net/kawasaki-engine-guard-chaps/EGC004.html

I ordered some of these because I could not find anyone who had the stock ones on hand. They look very well made! Haven't received them yet. Will update when I get them and have em on.
I revieved them yesterday and am very impressed and satisfied with them. They are high quality pure leather and appear to be hand made. Cant wait to put them on and go for a nice chilly 50 degree ride this weekend.:cool:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I ordered a set yesterday. looking forward to getting them. owner called me and talked about pro's and con's of having ordered a pocket. Great service and seemed like a nice guy. Mentioned that every time his product is posted on a forum he sees a spike in business. Weather is starting to cool off here on Vancouver Island and while we can ride all year I'm sure these will help with the winter rains.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a set of Airlite chaps on my 900 LT. One piece & no snaps! No sail effect just warmer & dryer legs. I like these so much I'll be getting a set for my other bike I purchased earlier this month, a 2012 Victory Cross Roads. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts