Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi again guys,

The manual says not to idle the bike for longer than five minutes or else overheating and severe damage could occur. I can see myself easily doing this in traffic or just practicing the clutch in my garage. But I am confused...one of the reasons I wanted a liquid cooled engine was to not really worry about the heat. So it's still possible to overheat? Tough to tell too since there's no heat gauge.

I guess I am getting the impression that by "liquid cooled" they really imply "liquid + air cooled" for greater cooling efficiency, but air is still required. Not sure. I'm pumped about all of the cool radiator covers they have. Which one to pick...hmm.

Thanks.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The manual says not to idle the bike for longer than five minutes or else overheating and severe damage could occur
This statement kind of got me thinking. I've owned 6-8 bikes before so when I bought my 2007 900 Custom I didn't read the manual cover to cover, I only looked at it when I needed something specific. So I just went back to see if I missed what you stated above in my manual. I couldn't find any statement like that in my manual. Maybe they had some problems with that and added it to the newer bike manuals. I've never had any overheating problems in stop and go traffic. You will hear the electric fan kick on when your stopped and your engine is getting to warm. I don't ever remember the fan staying on for very long. If the motor was getting to hot the fan would stay on continuous. Anyway there is an idiot light that is suppose to come on if your bikes getting to hot. I'm not sure you need to worry to much about this issue, these are definetly cooling better than an air cooled engine. My guess is that the system doesn't hold as much cooling water, percentage wise, compared to a car, and probably doesn't have as much internal surface area of coolant contact. So they depend more on the air movement to keep the water/glycol temperature within range. Make sure that what ever kind of radiator cover you use doesn't cut down too much on the cooling fin area that's exposed to the oncoming air (this is what is mentioned in my manual).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys. I bought my 900 Custom in March this year. I've ridden almost every day, mostly on open roads here in NC and it gets HOT here in the summer. I never heard the fan come on so I stopped by my dealer and asked if there was a way to check this out. Short story was that they said to quit worrying about it IF the temp light is not on. I took the bike out for about an hour ride, parked it running for about 10 minutes and the fan finally came on for a few minutes. It's a cool running bike. Watch for the light!

SDC

·
Registered
657 Posts
The bike is water, air and oil cooled. I don't worry until the light comes on.... but then I don't let it idle for five minutes or more.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Kawasaki's covering their ass by saying that. Don't worry about it. Unless the light's on and it's puking coolant all over the pavement it's not overheating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts