Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to pull my 09' Nomad 1700 out to Wyoming to ride the Bear Tooth this July and I am buying an enclosed trailer. Friends suggest I get a 5'x8'x5'6" tall v-nose trailer to keep the wind resistance down but with the door opening 60" high x 54" wide, that leaves 7" on each side (10" inside) and 2" clearance (8" inside) for a Nomad that is 58" tall x 40.4" wide.
Would anyone else out there that pulls an enclosed trailer please share their comments, thank you.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The few that I've seen have kinda flimsy floors. You'll need to weld some plates on the trailer frame for bracing for tie-downs.
I take it a cheapy utility(open) won't do?
I wouldn't want the job of loading & unloading.

·
Registered
297 Posts
We have a 7x14 v-nose we pull with 3/4 ton trucks big enought for sons 02 mean streak and my 13 voyager staggered side by side and tall enough inside I can stand up (6') and still room in front we put in cabinets to make a dinette and table that makes a bunk and overhead bunk that folds down its tight but fits if your only ever going to have one bike I'd go at leat 6 wide give your self some room to get around the bike to tie down but all this depends on your tow vehicle

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have a V nose 6x12 and there is lots of room for getting off the bike and loading and unloading and my ramp door is plenty strong enough for loading and unloading. It is a single axles and doesn,t bounce much. Just my 2 cents. It is 6 feet high and this makes a huge difference

·
Registered
45 Posts
Go with the 6 ft wide-gives you enough room to get around the bike if you need to. I have a 6X10 with a 2ft V nose. My spare is in the V. If it came with tie downs in the floor-you might want to reinforce them. My factory tie downs were zip screws in the Z channel crossmembers. I used 5/16 bolts and used some steel on the bottom to distribute the load. I also added more tie downs on the side. I have a harbor freight tilting wheel chock bolted to the frame rails under the floor. I added 1" in the center to let the front tire sit deeper into the chock. Plan on a pretty good loss in MPG. Its not the weight, its the wind resistance. Even with the V, it still catches a lot of air. I went from 15 to 10-11 depending on speed. I have a queen bed hanging from the ceiling-it is on pulleys, so we can lower it when we get there. Also a shelf in the V for the fridge. Makes a useable toy hauler. Spent the week at Sturgis last year with the wife.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Have a 5 x 10 and it's plenty big enough. Would like a side door. It's has a low ceiling so the windshield has to come off, but it fits in my garage.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Go with the 6 ft wide-gives you enough room to get around the bike if you need to....... I have a queen bed hanging from the ceiling-it is on pulleys, so we can lower it when we get there. Also a shelf in the V for the fridge. Makes a useable toy hauler. Spent the week at Sturgis last year with the wife.
That is an absolutely awesome idea, and complete justification for the 6ft wide trailer. Well done!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
A buddy of mine went that small so he could tow behind a mini van. The part he didn't measure is the transition through the doorway. He has to remove his windshield on his voyager to get the bike in there. The trailer has a side door and he installed a latching chock to hold the front wheel. It is a little tight tying it down, but it does the job.

If I were going to tow and ride all the time I would buy one of those clamshell trailers that are aerodynamic but easy to load with the hinged roof.

·
Registered
171 Posts
5' x 8' vs. 6' x 10'

I used a friend's 5'x8' to haul the Voyager to Ohio a couple of years ago. Fortunately, the trailer had a side door, because there really is not room for a short, fat person to get past the bars once the bike is in the wheel chock.

It was enough of a hassle to convince me I wanted a 6'x10' when I bought my own trailer last year.

I didn't think about hanging a bed from the ceiling, but 6' wide is just wide enough for a blow-up queen size mattress. The one we have is double thickness, so it sits about 18" off the floor, and with a built in pump, all you need is a generator or an extension cord to set up your camper. And there is room for a BBQ grill/camp stove in the nose in front of the wheel chock.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Decision made

Everyone's comments have been very helpful and I thank you for your time.
With your help, I'm purchasing the 6'x6'x10' trailer. I will post a photo of my bike in it and in the 5'x5'6"x8' trailer my friend is purchasing after we pick them up in a few weeks, that should give everyone a reference.
I can't imagine the extra room will change the MPG's very much when compared to the smaller trailer but I'll let you know that too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So for those interested in the hanging bed-its a queen frame. I added and welded the center rail sections together to minimize flex. Has 1/2" osb as the bed decking with a 6" memory foam mattress-its an RV queen short (im only 5-7) so when the bed is up against the ramp door-we can get in/out of the side door. The bed decking is bolted to the frame. Its in two sections-I added a brace to hold both deck sections together to the frame because when you raise the bed it wants to twist. I had to grind out the rivets that hold the center stands to the frame rails so the windshield would clear on the bike. I just bolt the two stands back to the bed frame once the bike is out. It is held to the roof joists by Eye bolts that were cut to about 120 degrees of circle left. One on each corner. I have a pulley with a rope on each corner-we lift one end halfway, then the other end all the way up, then back to the first end and so on. I have safety chains to hold it in place-these carry the load during transport. It gets a few looks when we unload it. I also built a door frame and "dutch" door for the side door-I use a window AC unit. We use rope lights and spackle bucket +seat for the night toilet. Amazing what you can do when your cheap! If anybody wants more details-feel free to email me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
6X12 Trailer

I have a V nose 6x12 and there is lots of room for getting off the bike and loading and unloading and my ramp door is plenty strong enough for loading and unloading. It is a single axles and doesn,t bounce much. Just my 2 cents. It is 6 feet high and this makes a huge difference
I have the same trailer as ballbreaker. Got mine at Lowes. Since I don't have a garage on my house, it serves as mine. Does a really good job with plenty of room to move around the bike. Since it's parked out back with no vehicle attached, I added 2 4X4 posts at the back to keep the front end from rising during entering/exiting.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
if I were kamping alot, then I would get a trailer and fix it up rite. also can use the trailer to haul stuff. Butt find that when I have equipment, (truk-trailer,etc) everbody wants to borrow it (and my labor and my gas and my time)..
So, watt to do,, watt to do? Xcountry, I just load the bike in my pick up and stay at hotels. can back up to the bldg. nobody messes with it, way up there..
butt mostly i just ride the dang thing where it is I need to be.
and No this does not solve the everbody borrowing my riggs issue.. if I could just lern to say No.. but thanks for asking.. poncho

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 6 x 12 that is 6'2" high, inside. It has lots of room for the bike and all of the "totes" that we take when we go south for the winter. I wouldn't buy anything smaller than a 6 x 12

·
Registered
101 Posts
A trailer thread on a bike forum? Hmmmm

1 - 16 of 16 Posts