Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Enclosed Trailer Rental for 3 bikes

748 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Kawi Rick 
#1 ·
Two friends and I are planning a trip out west. We will be trailering an older Goldwing, a Honda 750 and my VN1700. We have been toying with the idea of renting an enclosed trailer. We will be pulling with a 1 ton truck.

Ideas and opinions?

Leaving from Missouri. Traveling to Colorado. Perfect scenario lets us rent for the travel days only so having pickup south of St Louis and drop off close to Alamosa CO.

#2 · (Edited)
Ideas and opinions? St Louis and drop off close to Alamosa CO.
trailers make xcountry ezier.. St Louie /Alamosa 938 miles. drive straight thru its 24hr road trip w/stops.. have trucked 2x bikes xcountry many times. usually 2k miles worth when we do it.

by bike its 48hrs w/a hotel in the middle.. 500 mile day is not hard on them big bikes. dont recommend 1k/day as that is iron butt head territory.
but if you take yor time and ride hiway 50 instead of interstate 70, you would find that xcountry on the bikes is way more better than windshield time.
back roads at speeds 50-70 as they vary and mix it up keep you plugged into the trip. freeway droning at 80 is mind numbing, no change. back roads take you thru towns, americaville. sometimes you slow down and see how folks get along. sometimes you stop for gas or bite to eat and actually talk with folks who live there. its more interesting than travelers just passing thru interstate gas stations.

riding the bikes at a slower more leasurely pace, then you dont need all the fuss n logistic$ of truck n trailer.. and dont over pack. poncho

#3 ·
One factor is how much time you have for your whole trip. If you have unlimited time, then ride out and back and take time to smell the roses. If you don't then trailering will definitely be quicker and easier and you'll be less tired when you get there where the fun biking really begins. Sounds like a fun trip. What year is your Wing? I have a 79.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.