Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just seeing what's out there, if anyone has done the swap or is thinking about it.

I know some of the 500a's had alloy wheels, and was thinking about making the swap onto my '08 500c. Tire sizes are the same I believe, 19" front, 15" rear.

I have a chance at an almost complete 500a (1994 vintage I believe). No title, obviously not running, and priced just above scrap value (he's asking $50 for the whole bike). See thumbnails below for that bike.

This particular bike has the alloy wheels, but is set up for belt drive where my 500 is chain drive.

While I'm at it, how many other parts will cross from this bike to my 500c?

BikerBill... I noticed in a couple photos That it looks like you're running an alloy wheel on the rear of Hidalgo? Would that be a 500a wheel? What was needed for compatibility to chain drive?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
DKC,

Yes, I am running the alloy rear wheel on Hidalgo. The fit is a direct replacement for the spoked wheel as the sprocket component is separate from the wheel itself. I did this due to problems with the tube. (two flats within a couple of months each over 150 miles from home) Others will chime in here but I believe that the front will swap directly with the exception of the speedometer drive gear. You will need to use the 500A's speedometer drive.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha... I understand all to well about the flat situation. I was going out for a ride this morning, did all my usual checks (air pressure, lights, oil, etc) all was good.

Made it about 3 blocks in my neighborhood, and the bike just didn't feel right. Stop and look... flat rear tire. Push bike back home and sure enough, there's a roofing nail sticking out of the tire. So much for a ride this morning.

One thing we use at the shop pretty often in the green Slime. It works quite well in tubeless tires, and there's a tube variety as well. I haven't used it on any of my bikes personally, but everyone I have talked to who has gives it good reviews. Obviously it'll only work for a small puncture like mine, not a rip or cut, but...

Hopefully my local wally world has it in stock and I just might get to ride this afternoon. I'll definitely report back and tell of my experiences with it. Otherwise, I'll be trailering the bike to the shop tomorrow and putting a new tube in.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Son is out and about now grabbing everything necessary. Unfortunately, being Memorial day, none of the cycle shops are open. I don't have a tire machine here at home, or patching would be my first method (I've never had good luck manually removing/replacing a tube tire). I've already texted him to check for the Ride-On at local parts stores (some of them are open thankfully).

Some quick looking around other forums says I can still patch a tube after having Slime in it, but only if you use the correct tube type Slime, not the tubeless variety. The tubeless version has small chunks of rubber mixed in and probably a little different glue compound.

Either way, I told son Ride-On first, tube type Slime second. We shall see what he returns home with...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, son returned with the green stuff. None of the parts stores had heard of the Ride-On. Guess that's going to be a cycle shop thing.

Put it in as directed, pumped tire up to 38, and puttered around the neighborhood a bit. Recheck pressure, down to 26. Reinflate to 38, putter around some more. Recheck tire pressure, 37 this time. Parked bike with puncture position at the bottom, let sit for 20 mins, and check pressure. Still 37, so looking good so far.

I usually run 34-36psi anyway, so no need to adjust pressure at this point.

I'll head out for another spin later and recheck again, then again in the morning.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So after a nice, leisurely 30 min ride, I pulled over and checked pressure. Up to 39. Rode around for another hour (backroads, in-town, a little mix of everything). Checked pressure as soon as I got home, still 39. Let bike sit for 30 mins, pressure is 38. Tire is still a bit warm to the touch (not hot, just good and warm, but remember, I am in FL and the sun is bright here). So I think all is good for now. I'll recheck again in the morning before I start on my day's running, but it'll certainly be nice to be out on 2 wheels again on a regular basis.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts