Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new to the forum and was hoping to get some help diagnosing a ticking sound coming from the upper portion of the engine. It's a constant tick that stays through start up to normal running temp. Also gets faster when rpms increase. The bike is a 2003 with almost 16,000 miles no mods and I've recently changed the oil and adjusted the valves at home. Any help would be appreciated if also like to add a video to help if anyone knows how

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hello and welcome. Sounds like the automatic camshaft tensioner, which should eventually click over. There is a way of manually forcing it. Bikerbill is the authority on this. I am sure he will be along soon to fill you in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply I heard that might be the problem but I tried the forcing it method and i never heard a click I loesend the two bolts quite a bit but never any click so I put it back because I didn't want to damage the tensioner could I just not have lossened it enough

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Being the EN uses the same 500cc mill as my EX-500, I can say from learning from others that the engine should sound like a smooth sewing machine when it's tuned and adjusted right. Mine has a light ticking sound from the top end as well that I've learned is just the sound this one makes after checking the valves and replacing the original 1st generation tensioner with a better quality 2nd gen version (early EX's had a badly designed tensioner). Motor has 57,000 miles on the clock now and still running just strong! I've learned unless it's making a horrid noise or down on power, leave it be because it's probably normal.

Saying that, I should add I'm definitely NOT an expert by any means, so I can only offer the advice I've gotten from those who are. Take everything with a grain of salt, but I hope I'm able to offer a bit of wisdom where I can :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea it doesn't sound so much like it's damaging anything but it's definitely an anoyince that I'd like to fix if I could

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So should i be able to hear the ticking at speed because unless I'm really getting on the throttle I can always here it but I am definitely listening for it

·
Registered
151 Posts
Properly working Vulcan 500 engine should have sound like sewing machine at idle, just like Kodiak said. If this is your first bike or you just bought it, then you PROBABLY worry about nothing. If you had this bike for some time now and you just started hearing ticking sound then it is most likely cam chain tensioner needs replacement...You should have posted a video of your bike idling so we can 'diagnose' your bike's problem right away.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
So should i be able to hear the ticking at speed because unless I'm really getting on the throttle I can always here it but I am definitely listening for it
Sounds like you may have a adjusted the valves a little loose...Feeler gauge should drag when adjusting....Should be able to hear tick at idle (like a sewing machine).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I'll try the valves again in the probably won't be able to get to it till the weekend should I avoid ridding it till then?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts