Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
İ have seen a En500 that i am thinking of buying but it seems to need a new cam chain despite the recorded Kms being only 23000 kms.....the mileage looks right on condition but the İ cant reconcile it with needing a new cam chain so early!!..it is year 2000. All i can think of is it has been poorly maintained or the owner has run low on oil.....i am worried if this may be the tip of the iceberg!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
It should need a new cam chain at this point in its life. If you are considering it as a possible ride I would have it checked by a mechanic before purchasing it or just walk away now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a mechanic has checked it by listening and like me he thinks it needs a new cam chain but my query is why so soon??...it has only done 23000 kms which is about 15000 miles and condition wise looks spot on!...it is year 2000. İ am wondering if it could just be a guide that can go any time:...and also if they can be replaced without need to replace the cam chain!??

·
Registered
155 Posts
The chain may be ok. THe tensioner could be stuck or the valves may need adjusting. If it does need the chain replaced that is not a hard job. The bike should have completed two valve inspections and adjustments at this mileage. Does it run good? Is the compression in specs? What is the price? How old are the tires (after 6 years they should be replaced no matter tread wear)?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh service schedules are never observed here. İ am in Turkey so nothing like civilisation!! The problem here is the price of spares is high so it is a significant saving if i dont have to do the chain...the labour is cheap so i dont do things myself. The bike is running fine and has good grunt...the tyres need changing despite being like new... they are dated 2007!...i am factoring things so i make the right offer on the bike!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts