Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Rob here from Rotorua, New Zealand. have just purchased a Vulcan EN500 for my wife to learn to ride. Have developed a small problem with possibly the starter solenoid or clutch interlock switch??

Looking for a bit of advice. I've found the starter solenoid. Can anyone tell me where the clutch lockout switch is on my bike? I've searched for forum pages & it's pretty much the identical problem as user "Gershwin" had - "My 1998 Nomad 1500 (carb) had occasional problems starting. All the lights came on but there was no action from the starter motor at all. I found I could start it by rocking it in gear so that the motor turns slightly and then starting as normal. I ruled out the clutch and side stand lock-out switches because it did start in gear and out of gear after I used the 'rock and go' method. I suspected a dodgy starter solenoid - or perhaps enough voltage to kick it into action. I have installed a new battery and it is fully charged from a trickle charger. The problem has actually become worse with 9 out of 10 starts needing the 'in gear rock on the motor method' to get the starter motor to work. This points to a fault in the starter motor or solenoid. Has anybody exeprienced this? My thinking is that I should remove the starter motor and clean the gizzards of the solenoid, which I presume is integral with the motor. Its a bugger to get to, but it is possible. Any ideas or suggestions?
"

Is anyone above to tell me where the Clutch interlock switch is on my EN500?? Kind regards, Rob

·
Premium Member
12,012 Posts
Welcome in Rob! Suggest you ask your questions in the 500 forum where other owners can help you out. Not all read the new intro section.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts