Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the weather turning blustery and unpredictable, instead of going out riding I took the opportunity to search the garage and sort out a bit of an emergency kit, in case of something (minor) happening while out and about.
A few spanners, some spare fuses, a couple of screwdrivers, some zip cable ties, bit of insulating tape, etc, etc, all wrapped up in an old t-shirt and strapped into the left saddlebag.
While doing this, I came across a tyre plugging kit which I had bought, but had forgotten about. It consisted of two tools:- a reamer and a threader, some plugging strings, and a tube of glue. All that you need to quickly plug an air leak in the tyre. I put it with my 'new' tool kit, 'cos after all, the most annoying thing when out and about is a puncture.
What I am missing though, is something to reflate the tyre.
I also found a ''Mini motorcycle foot pump''. Still in the box, unused.
So I tried it out.
Totally, and utterly useless.
I lost more air connecting and disconnecting it, than I did trying to use it.
Not that it put much air in to start with.
In the bin it went.

What do you carry to reflate your tyres in the event of a puncture?

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I carry a Plug kit and air pump in all my vehicles. Bought one from Walmart, another at a bike rally, and another I can’t remember where. Only used the one from Walmart for the truck when came out of Golden Corral to a flat tire in 95 degree weather. Inflated the tire, plugged it and reinflated to desired psi. These pumps are not fast but they work. You are going to need a connection to your battery for power. For the bike I put the connector from a Battery Tender Harness on the air pump so it can plug into the Battery Tender’s connection on the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Slime makes a decent one (Slime 12V Tire Inflator). It fills slowly, and on a hot day, you may have to let it cool before the tire completely inflates, but it is compact and does work. Other similar brands out there, too. Don't depend on the pressure gauge on any of them, though. Consider the displayed pressure to be a crude estimate at best.

I have a jumper kit that came with an inflator powered by the jumper battery. Unfortunately, while that company still makes jumper kits, they don't have one with an inflator anymore. It is a great combo in a fairly compact kit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Searching local E-Bay and Amazon sites, I had narrowed my choice to two options :-
1. Rocky Creek Motopresser Pocket Pump - https://www.overlanders.ie/product/motopressor-pocket-pump/
2. Airman Tour Compressor - Compressor AirMan Tour | TOURATECH Ireland

Both get virtually equal reviews online, and both come with SAE connectivity to plug into the battery tender leads. The only real difference is the price.
Although the Rocky Creek is smaller, it has no gauge (yes, I know the gauges are notoriously unreliable, but it's just going to be a 'get me going again' item), but the gauged Airman is cheaper. Go figure!

Funnily enough, Overlanders is a Touratech outlet, and they are only about 5 miles from my house.
So this morning, the good lady of my house went forth to get an Airman Tour.
Alas, they are currently out of stock, but an order was placed. Should be in next week.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Both look like nice compact units. Hope it works out well.

Chippy, you must be from the Weee country. I'm green with envy.
:giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Searching local E-Bay and Amazon sites, I had narrowed my choice to two options :-
1. Rocky Creek Motopresser Pocket Pump - https://www.overlanders.ie/product/motopressor-pocket-pump/
2. Airman Tour Compressor - Compressor AirMan Tour | TOURATECH Ireland

Both get virtually equal reviews online, and both come with SAE connectivity to plug into the battery tender leads. The only real difference is the price.
Although the Rocky Creek is smaller, it has no gauge (yes, I know the gauges are notoriously unreliable, but it's just going to be a 'get me going again' item), but the gauged Airman is cheaper. Go figure!

Funnily enough, Overlanders is a Touratech outlet, and they are only about 5 miles from my house.
So this morning, the good lady of my house went forth to get an Airman Tour.
Alas, they are currently out of stock, but an order was placed. Should be in next week.
Be aware that not all battery tender pigtails can handle the amps some of these little pumps can pull. Make sure yours can and has a sufficient fuse in it before you rely upon it on the road to power one of those compressors.

Reactions: Tourer

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have two installed pigtails already. One for an Optimate, and one for a Deltron (both battery tenders)
One has a 10amp fuse as standard, and one has a 15amp as standard.
According to the specs I've read the average draw is 5amp with the max draw at 10amp.

Oh, and if it is used, it would be prudent to keep the engine running as well to stop flattening the battery, with extra care at the back wheel because of the exhausts and heat.

Best practice is to do a full test in the garage to familiarize myself with the process before getting caught out on the road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts