Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my noob experiences (which are never good) accumulate, I put a K&N air filter and V&H slip ons onto my otherwise stock 2012 Nomad this past Saturday. On Sunday I was cruising around exploring just a few blocks from downtown Music City and entered a neighborhood I had no business being in. (think Compton) I wasn't lost mind you as I'm a guy...but I was in uncharted territory.
I had been experiencing heavy decel popping during the ride into downtown but the majority of the trip was on highway so wasn't too focused on it. As I'm entering this "new" neighborhood I was going about 40 under a double underpass. There was a bus stop under the second underpass with a group of folks standing there. ( the underpasses were only separated by about 15 yards) Sure enough, right in the middle of the first underpass my bike backfires, loud, as in just like a gunshot loud, and I literally saw the whole group turn, jump, cower, and pretty sure one dude hit the deck.
The worst part is within a few blocks thereafter I knew I needed to turn around and so I had to go past the group again. I literally picked up speed before the underpass, pulled the clutch in, and cruised past the group quiet as a mouse.
I sent my ecu to Ivan on Monday....

PS: Ivan said you don't have to call first to check serial number, if your year model and make is on his website, he can flash it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
HAHAHAHA Bro, that is hilarious! I too still have some backfire (the name of my 9). I hope you kept a straight face and just acted like you didn't hear it.

I have a FI2000R that I am still dialing in, but I only hear good things about being "Ivanized" and wish he did 900 ECU's

Keep us posted and stay out of underpasses (in Compton) until you get things smoothed out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah That backfiring is embarrassing. You won't have that problem once you get it flashed. It's hard work cruising through downtown and have to keep pulling the clutch in just to keep it from backfiring, I don't miss that at all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, that was my first thought, that somebody was shooting. My bike had only been popping up to that point, it was the first big backfire. Pretty embarrassed a millisecond later when I realized I was the culprit...

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Peer pressure can be a powerful thing.

Spend too much time on any forum and you will be adding and making the "necessary" changes to your bikes.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Peer pressure can be a powerful thing.

Spend too much time on any forum and you will be adding and making the "necessary" changes to your bikes.
Too true!

Don't blame anyone for trying to get rid of the popping though.

Neither of my current bikes pop at all.
The R3T has slipons and is very deep & mellow; with NO pops.
The FJR is stock & gonna stay that way, so it's very quiet.

Think I'm done chasing power with aftermarket fixes. Did that with the Voyager.
I liked some of the upgrades. Pipes sounded nice but $$ to hp was a bad ratio.
Not knocking it for anyone else; but I don't think I would do it again.

Scott

·
Registered
279 Posts
HA, great funny story. Must have been hard not to repeat that.

But, for the story, decel popping in the exhaust is not and never has been backfiring. Backfiring occurs when an ignition and or valve timing problem actually causes the spark in the cylinder to fire the air/fuel mix when the intake valve is still open and the power pulse burps backwards out the carb. That is backfiring which is extremely rare in these days of electronic ignition. The sure proof of decel popping is to pull in the clutch on decel and the popping immediately stops. The popping is caused by a very lean closed throttle fuel/air mix during decel. At idle a stationary bike can run without popping. But at speed on decel with a closed throttle the momentum of the bike continues to push the engine to pump, but it can't get enough fuel/air to support steady combustion. When the engine has turned enough to suck in just enough fuel/air for the spark plug to ignite the mix on the exhaust stroke, it "pops" out the exhaust.

Decel popping is just that, totally harmless popping. Because of lean fuel/air mixes on modern bikes, they all pop on decel. One reason the stock mufflers are so big and considered restrictive is to dampen exhaust noise enough to cancel out the decel popping. When you mod the stock exhaust (drill out the baffles or remove the baffles) the damping effect is gone and you hear the popping. Same can be said for free flowing aftermarket exhaust, most are much smaller in volume than a stock muffler and cannot dampen the exhaust popping. Another fact is most "free flowing" exhaust causes the fuel/air mix to lean out more yet, and the popping actually increases. Two ways to stop the popping, 1) pull in the clutch, 2) richen up the fuel/air mix on small/closed throttle and the popping is gone.

I know this by experiment. I modded the exhaust on my BMW R1100RS, made my own freer flowing internals inside the stock muffler. It popped like nuts because the freer flowing internals did not dampen out the exhaust. I had also installed a Techlusion fuel tuning system, and I could tune out the popping by richening up the fuel/air mix, and the popping was gone, along with about 5 mpg fuel economy.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Too true!

Don't blame anyone for trying to get rid of the popping though.

Neither of my current bikes pop at all.
The R3T has slipons and is very deep & mellow; with NO pops.
The FJR is stock & gonna stay that way, so it's very quiet.

Think I'm done chasing power with aftermarket fixes. Did that with the Voyager.
I liked some of the upgrades. Pipes sounded nice but $$ to hp was a bad ratio.
Not knocking it for anyone else; but I don't think I would do it again.

Scott
What? No Carpenter Racing upgrade for the R3? :devil2:

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
What? No Carpenter Racing upgrade for the R3? ::
I can't say never; but for my current situation; the R3T has plenty. :)

Adding 120 HP for under $5k isn't a bad $$ to hp ratio though.

Kinda like looking at a Corvette (or whichever sports car you prefer) and saying "Naww, I'm too mature for that these days".
We know were still going to buy the quad cab pick up; but there's an inner teenager that'd be punch drunk happy to go broke on insurance premiums and funding the police ball.

Scott

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got my ecu back and went for a test ride....big difference! Doing a separate post.

Andy, you were almost speaking a foreign language to me but all I know is something really loud, like a bang, exited my bike and caused total strangers to think they were in danger!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts