Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Elvis mite be a name for my new Goose.. but then No.. SHE has 2many kurves to be just another Hip Shaker.. so thot mebbe Elvira would be more fitting.. it didnt take all of 5 seconds pondering to hit the bulls eye.. JR as in Jessica Rabbit,, as in Roger Rabbits Flame Thrower main squeaze.. So for the rest of eternity whenever addressing my new sled, be so kind as to call her by a most fitting name, Jessica or JR for short.. which she is not. short. Dam them are some Big Guns! poncho

Attachments

·
Registered
578 Posts
I can see it.

Is that engine guard sufficient protection? (don't even know if they offer more) My old GL500 Silverwing transvers V-twin would get a hole ground through the valve cover if laid down (did that once). If dropped too hard, it would damage the head.

Hopefully you will never find out.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that engine guard sufficient protection?
dr. its the biggest they offer. it should provide some protection from a standing drop or slow slide. obviously a hard slam is gonna take the motor out. Guzzi makes valve cover sliders but that wont save it from a slam. These valve covers are $73 each(cheap) and they are cosmetic overlays. the true cover is well beneath these. so even if in a slide one was to take a grinding. $73 will make it like it never happend. but the roll bar should take the brunt of any roll over or drop. if it ever stops raining! poncho

Attachments

·
Registered
377 Posts
"... if it ever stops raining! poncho
Hi Punch;

You need to listen to the old Maine guys advice on the weather... When asked if it will stop raining they reply; "Always has..." :)
You're too spoiled down there in Tehas. Sit back and relax a bit. Us NE'rs think a little wet and cold means Winter is over! Don't you own rain gear and some gloves??

Now if I had that new naked JR you are fondling (dirty old man) I probably wouldn't be riding in the "wet and cold" either :)

WEG

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Punch;Now if I had that new naked JR you are fondling (dirty old man) I probably wouldn't be riding in the "wet and cold" either :) WEG
weggies,, i dont do kold and i dont do wet. i certainly dont do kold n wet. and who are you calling old.. ponchout

Attachments

·
Registered
377 Posts
weggies,, i dont do kold and i dont do wet. i certainly dont do kold n wet. and who are you calling old.. ponchout
Well you are probably not as old as me, but 35 years in Tehas tells me you're no young'n unless you were kidnapped out of the cradle by some cowboys and indians. Don't you think it a bit strange to call a motorcycle with jugs like that "JR ?? :) besides, "Dirty middle age man' doesn't sound right...
Ah, that "goose" is in for some treats...if it ever stops pissing ice water on that little patch of heaven. In the meangime polish up 'JR' once for me!

WEG

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
the GOOSE has got WINGS!

the Goose does Fly. ran the 1st tank of petrol thru the mill. 4 gallons at a Buck Fifty range, still breaking it in. 36mpg avg.. running down hill got over 105mpg. this digital display is so chock full of data it can be a distraction. it is a full blown configurable computer interface. even 5 languages.
heres the view from the seat. big Juggs spilling out everwhere. its like flying a ww-duece p49 thunderbolt. at idle, the rubber mounted motor shakes like one them 'merican motors. as soon as you roll it up, she is smooth as silk and the ponies like to run. this motor makes decent power down low, 85hp -97ft/lbs. but kick her up above 3grand thru 5.. holy shamoly, you better be hangin on tite! its like lighting a rocket under yor pants. and smooth as tennessee sippin whiskey. ther still be nuther 2.5g's left on the clok b4 she cuts you off. I have no idea watt that is like and probly never will. This thing ROX!
handling. it is like flying a 700lb sport bike. very nimble and agile if not lite on her toes. long and hevy nuff to be stable at all speeds, NO twitching! If it had a fairing (memphis batwing on order) it would be rite Comfy.
So I have the rear shox set on low as they go. I will shop for a 2" drop to get my short legs more firmly planted for parking lot (reverse) manuevers. other than that it fits very well. MG has a set of pull back bars (italian 1.125" dia.) for a Cnote reasonable. its that or a set of modified risers?
The short report is it is one fine bitchin machine and loaded with goodies out the wazoo all for a measly 12g out the door.. cheap fun. poncho

Attachments

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"whoohoo!".. rode the new sled to Santone erly am 44f.! had visit at dealer to reset fix service code. I put taller MG bars, managed to hose the hydraulic clutch switch buried under the tank.. butt did get 200 smiles of backroad canyon carving in to offset this 'spensive repair..
next order of biz is to fit a memphis batwing. does require some fabrication of brackets and headlamp cut out. this is the one am currently considering.
then its the rear shox that get the 2" drop treatment. dialing it in. poncho

Attachments

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I've been looking at those MG Cali 1400. As a brand what are MG like? Reliable? If I ever do get one the issue is there are no dealers here.
spokes, this is my 4th goose. they are Italian. so they are different. if yor tryin to compare them with Japs, don't. they are different. I have no problem with reliability issues. I don't beat any my bikes. yes dealers are few and far between here stateside. big cities mite have one. each. MGs are much like BMWs. Spensive. and like Italian women, gorgeous, they kno it and have attitude.

Cali v14 is best thing MG has done in... 100yrs? see article in Cycle World online guzzi/indian/hardly shoot out.. and yes I have Injun too.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks. So you said you can't sit flat footed...how tall are you? Hows the sound from the stock exhaust? Close to what you hear on YouTube?

When I said we have no dealers here I meant we have no dealer anywhere close by. I live on a island and I think the closest is 1600km away. :p

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks. So you said you can't sit flat footed...how tall are you? Hows the sound from the stock exhaust? Close to what you hear on YouTube?

When I said we have no dealers here I meant we have no dealer anywhere close by. I live on a island and I think the closest is 1600km away. :p
sr,, well its like this.. I was blessed with this chassis that hovers a mere 68" aff. I cant get pance in less than 30" inseam.. If I were any taller my feet would not get any traction with terra firma.. but I almost never hit my head on low hanging tree limbs.. so does that clear it up for you any?
I have no problem riding this or most other bikes, 'cept them offroad types need a ladder to climb aboard. I have no idea how ever to come to a complete stop on one w/o falling over, 'lest I pulled up slow next to a tree or tele'pole. maybe rest my hand on a tall vehicle in the next lane?

MG has 1" lower shox on the Tour model of this Cali v14. but its $1k. if I gotta pay big coin, I want 2" drop. MG is small audience and suppliers. there is a large outfitter www.harpermoto.com in Kansas city, Missouri, I will post website later. MG is very select few. you will not see but 1 or 2 ever.. you will get lots of folks ask you questions. but they have no real interest, as they are Lemmings always needing protection of a herd.
we have www.AF1racing.com here in Austin and D'moto in SanTone.. Tejas is big whole nuther country. not for feint hearted mainlanders need to stay in their home cities with all the safety nets their dealers and govs can provide.
butt you live on an island in the North Sea, so you don't need no friggen support system. yor witts are yor support sys. MG just mite be yor fitt.

stock exhaust is well baffled to meet fed gov reggs. these are 90 vtwins from racing heritage and have all the visceral and audible feedback a racemotor has in its dna. you want it, you have to expose its there..

this bike design has much heritage in it. MG has a design studio in S.Cal and this is where they visioned it. about 40yrs ago, CHP's used MGs el'derado exclusively. its a 100 yr old solid design and company. Piaggio (investors) acquired MG, Aprila, MVagusta, Vespa and other Italian Icons and have dumped huge investments into these Mfgs and their product offerings.

I can do a complete expose on this motor, frame and styling, handling. butt another post as it gets long. This is my 4th goose and it is the BEST one yet! It has exceeded my expectations and I am still learning all the Really Neat ENGINEERING that has been put into this sled. poncho

·
Registered
69 Posts
The Indian next to the Guzzi is the money shot right dere! Love both brands. :D

Poncho:
I'm very interested in the Cali14 and so I have a few questions I need to ask.

1. A big concern for me is engine heat. I have read that heat from the engine can burn your calfs pretty painfully. Do you notice that? Does wearing a tall boot mitigate or eliminate that issue?

2. How far can you personally go between stops before you want to get off and stretch? Are there any unpleasant vibrations when cruising at higher speeds on the interstate?

would love to hear your thoughts. :)

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The Indian next to the Guzzi is the money shot right dere! Love both brands. :D Poncho: I'm very interested in the Cali14 and so I have a few questions I need to ask.

1. A big concern for me is engine heat. I have read that heat from the engine can burn your calfs pretty painfully. Do you notice that? Does wearing a tall boot mitigate or eliminate that issue?

2. How far can you personally go between stops before you want to get off and stretch? Are there any unpleasant vibrations when cruising at higher speeds on the interstate?

would love to hear your thoughts. :)
I have only had this bike 2 months and to date only 2k smiles.. very kikass ones. It has been a WET winter/spring in Tejas and has impeded my smileage accruation indubabley.. but these are my YTD impressions;

Heat. you got to be kidding? this motor makes no more heat than any other air/oil cooled (did you get a good look at that oil cooler w/fan?) 1400cc motor. and then being air cooled did you get a good look a where those heads are sticking out there in the air stream? the only more exposed config is the beemer Rseries 180 flat twins..
now we are not yet into the middle of our typical texas summer and I may have to retract my statement later.. but to date (90f) riding I can put my bare hand on the valve covers of my bike while rolling and LEAVE it there with no discomfort.. Yes there is heat coming off the cylinders and if I tuck my legs in they receive some of this heat.. which would be nice when the weather turns cold.. but I can just as easily move my legs out into the airstream and receive little NO heat from the motor.. this bike is equipped with floor boards with plenty of foot positions.
I will discuss HEAT, quantities and temps and how it is moved as that is my area of business in a later discussion.

200 miles is the longest Iv ridden so far.. it is SUPER SMOOTH at all but idle and sitting on it all day everyday should be no problem. It has a 5.5gal tank.
the fuel lite comes on at 150 miles. I have not pushed it farther than 200 is 5gallon top off.

it has ABS brakes, fly by wire throttle, Cruise Control and a digital instrument panel that is so deep with data.. you can even learn 4 new languages if you get bored... ok, take a break. write other questions. ponchout

·
Registered
69 Posts
That's very helpful, Poncho, appreciate the details!

I'd also like to know how well the suspension soaks up bad roads? That's important since I plan to commute on it daily. Is it on the plusher side or stiffer? At all comperable to your Indian?

If you got the bike for 12k otd that's a steal really... I doubt you can get that deal today.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's very helpful, Poncho, appreciate the details!
If you got the bike for 12k otd that's a steal really... I doubt you can get that deal today.
well yes you can.. it is a guzzi factory program for NEW left over 14s.. there was $2k discount plus additional $2k guzzi was kicking in for trade in.. I traded my 013 v7 stone (which is another great small goose'ling? ) for full value and qualified for $11990. taxed only on the diff. do a search online. poncho

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd also like to know how well the suspension soaks up bad roads? That's important since I plan to commute on it daily. Is it on the plusher side or stiffer? At all comperable to your Indian?.
this is the open roadster sport version and it has racing adjustable shox. it can be either stiff, soft or in between.. the Tour version has lower shox w/o the high pressure expansion canisters. Ride reports favor the tour model..

this is my daily rider, banger bike. I like to bend it over in the twisties. finally found a decent bike that can handle the corners and is big nuff for the open road..

my heapum big chief injun is what I call Butt Jewelry. it is my long distance tour bike only. I do not ride it in city traffic ever. only rode it 4x last yr. limited to 12k smiles. I mite do better this year? it is extremely soff and comfy w/o being wallowy. it has FOX racing suspension w/brembo abs brakes, fly by wire and cruise. it cost 2x my goose and then some.

I have reduced my stable to 2 bikes. a day rider. and tour master. 2 totally different genre machines. either can do the others job in a hearbeat. I am looking forward to spending a week on the Goose when we do the Baja Burn in November. I wont take my injun into mehico. poncho

·
Registered
69 Posts
This is excellent stuff, Poncho, thanks a bunch for sharing all the details. Now I have to figure out how to make time to go test ride both, the tour and the custom, though I still think the custom just like yours is way more my style. :D

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
the good, the bad, the ugly

now you guys asked and its only right and fair to list all attributes regardless of how they may be perceived..
I wrote earlier that this is an Italian race heritage machine and not a Jap engineered to be safe machine.. it has history and attitude that you will either embrace or hate.. and either is fine, because it is watt it is.

my first Goose was an 03 Lemans v11. I bought it 6months used 3k miles, $7k cash for $14k bike. the dealer fired it up for me and put it in my truck. when I got it home, I fired it up drove it around the block. called the dealer and told him to keep his add going on cycletrader because I had just made the biggest mistake of my mc life. It was worse than any/all of my ridged mount sportsters. Paint Shaker didn't begin to define how bad it was.
ok, there is a big long story about how the dealer put a buyer and I together and I shipped it to Sacramento where Jim (now a very good friend) bought it, fixed it(all it needed was tuning-he knew it) and raced it for more than several years b4 crashing it..

in the meantime I replaced it with 04 zooki sv1k (best bike ever) and got hooked on canyon carving. but it was not an all day bike.. I sold the zook and have looked to replace it ever since.

fast forward, I bought 07 guzzi Griso v11.. had all the rite specs. I could not dial it in. sold it 2yrs later.

2yrs ago, I test rode this then new model California v14.. I was impressed. it was on my radar. $16k+ is a lot of coin for not much bling.? then the New Injun came front and center and I plunked down my coin and went that direction. it is my main defacto tour bike to replace Betty the buick, my 'lectraglide.. and to get in the face of my bro stuck in hardley kult kamp.

oh yeah, las year I picked up a used 13 guzzi v7 stone for a play bike. fun but small. not a traveler.

this year, I came across an add from the SA mg dealer D'moto, they had new 14s (still do) with $2k+$2k incentive from mg for.... California v14..!!!!
I called, put the deal together over the phone. a week later in the rain, unloaded the v7 and loaded the v14 in my truk... it was 2-3weeks of rain b4 I even got to ride the dang thing...

this new v14 (its not new, just improved) now sports an overhead cam with 4 valve head. it is short stroke, big bore, makes goodly amount Tork rite off idle and loves to rev with HP on top that will wake you up if yor not already.. I told you it is a race bred motor.

ok, now for the not so sunny stuff.. the only thing I would change about guzzi motors is theyr still using adjustable tappets on their valve stems. these are the noisiest bastards on planet earth. why on earth didn't they use hydraulic lifters in the rocker boxes? I see opportunity for aftermarket item, but the audience is too small.

working on a Goose motor is a cake walk in the park. even you can do this. the heads are right out ther in yor face. you don't even have to remove anything to do a complete tear down of the valves, heads, cylinders, heck you can even change pistons while the bike is still completely together. its so ez, its, well its not boring.. I have adjusted the valves twice already. I will again soon. I want to see how close tolerance I can go w/o lifting a valve. this is not new to me, I have done much motor work and know where limits are..

but still it would be nice if the valve clatter wasn't so... 1950? ok, that's pretty much all that I have about that..

it has a huge oil cooler w/temp control fan and separate oil pump for the cooling system. it uses expensive swiss 10w60 oil, I soon will replace w/amsoil strate 60w.
it has a six speed gear box, hydraulic clutch and single dry plate clutch disc just like yor sports car. the rear shaft drive is a sealed unit and fluid is only change every 30k smiles and ony when the rear wheel is pulled as the access ports are inside the wheel hub not exposed.
there are absolutely a ton of engineering items in around this package that even the japs aren't doing yet.. they will in time on some certain models.

changing the handy bars from stock to MG tour pull back was the best thing. I told the dealer he should do that to his demo unit and he would sell a ton more of this model. YES it is that much different. and No you do not have to change any of the wires or hydraulic lines regardless they want to sell you that stuff. stock work fine. mine do. ok, im done. ponchout

here are some pix.. am still looking for v11 lemans in here somewhere?

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
That's quiet a treat for us, Poncho. That's an interesting history of how you got where you got. It's also the first time I see a griso with a fairing! :eek:
Looks better than i thought it would.

The engine noise you describe is an issue on quiet a few brands, Victory included. The mechanical noises result from design, and it is what it is. Most riders get use to it with time. However, it is quiet impressive how Harley and Kawi were able to minimize those noises on their engines. The Fat boy and VN1700 I rode seemed more exhaust note than mechanical engine noise to me, which sure is a pleasure to listen to while you ride. You just need some Augustinis WITHOUT silencers on that cali1400. That would be my plan. :rolleyes:

I am a little surprised that at 2000miles you have already adjusted the valves twice. I would think you wouldn't need to touch them until 10k or so?! Or are you just being a perfectionist?

What did you pay for the bike OTD, if it's not a big secret?

1 - 20 of 82 Posts