Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am still trying to get the electrical on my 1996 Vulcan 500 A figured out. I got the bike as a basket case so there has been more than a few road blocks so far. I got the wiring harness and all wires on the bike itself identified and labeled. I ran the wiring harness and attached everything according to the wiring schematics. I put in a new battery and just wanted to see if I could get juice to the headlight. Not a chance. I checked the headlight for connectivity and it was good. I know there is alot of potential failure points between the battery and the headlight so I started to check for voltage along the way. I put the negative probe on the neg terminal of the battery and started with the starter relay. every where I probed on it had roughly 12.6 V so I moved to the junction box. Not sure if I was doing the right thing but I kept the neg probe on the battery and put the positive on the fuse contact points. The first two still read 12.6 V but the last two read about .3 V's. Am i doing something wrong. I havent moved past the junction box because of those last two fuses. I did replace the fuses and they work just fine. Also checked the fuses for conectivity and still all four are good. Ive added pics below. Please whatever help you can give me would be appreciated. 20150509_180242.jpg

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I hate diagnosing electrical issues on older bikes that have had multiple owners. Invariably, someone has done some mod that has led to a fault in the electrical system. I've seen some non-electrical mods that wound up creating pinch points that messed with the wiring over time.

You may be better off bung a new junction box and/or electrical harness so you know for certain that you've got everything back to factory spec.

http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/o...f8700223e4794871/chassis-electrical-equipment

I hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts