Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some heated grips and heated vest I want to wire into my 2007 VN900 Custom. I want them wired through ignition power of course but I'm not sure if Kawasaki has made or left extra (fused) connections already wired in, or should I take ignition power from somewhere and wire in though a relay???? I know how to do it but do any of you guys or gals know the best method? I have experience with this type of installation on a car or truck, just starting to add some custom stuff to our bikes and I want to be 100% sure.
And any help is good thanks guys.

·
Banned
334 Posts
The factory accessory connectors are not switched, they are always hot.

You should run the grips and vest through a relay anyway, that's too much power to draw through the ignition switch.

Also be aware that the VN900 only has about 70 watts of reserve capacity from the electrical system.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info siriusjoe. I can connect the relays to the factory connectors then I just have find them then. I have looked quickly the other day and did not see the factory connectors, I imagine that I should have to remove the gas tank to make life easier.

·
Banned
334 Posts
Thanks for the info siriusjoe. I can connect the relays to the factory connectors then I just have find them then. I have looked quickly the other day and did not see the factory connectors, I imagine that I should have to remove the gas tank to make life easier.
There's a connector in the headlight bucket, and I believe the other one is under the seat. Not sure about that, it's been a while since I owned a 900.

The owner's manual should show the location of the connectors. If you don't have your manual handy, you can download one for free from Kawasaki's web site.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Thanks I'm all over it now
Locate the group of wires under your seat that head towards the rear fender. One of those wires is red. That's your tail light. Let that drive your relay. The accessory pigtail is nearby. Look for a white/blue & black/yellow pair coming to the plug end. It's protected by a 10a fuse.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts