Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok......so I had a burnt stator. In the process of figuring that out, I replaced the magnetic switch, battery, regulator and put a new stator in. Today was the first day to really ride it since that so I took it to work (28 miles one way).

On my way in my headlight goes out! Both the high and low beams are out on the thing. I pull the fuses confident that it is a fuse problem but the 10A fuse is great. I change it anyway and low and behold...........the headlight is still out. So I'm resigned to changing the bulb. I finish my work day and head home, and here is the fun part.

Approximately 5 minutes after start up, my bike starts stuttering like it wants to die. The FI light starts blinking and the bike is sputtering and then the speedometer drops to zero. Mind you, I'm dong approximately 30 mph at this moment. I gun it and shift into 4th, and it drives fine, up to 75 mph (speedo). Suddenly the speedo is working again!

I get home and the battery is dead. So I'm swapping batteries. Yesterday the charge from the new stator at the battery was between 13.5 and 14.3 at idle so it has to be charging. Any ideas as to what is wrong guys??? :confused:

·
Registered
976 Posts
You know, when you have one thing like the Stator/rectifier drop off it can weaken other things. Though that's not a standard thing. Is it possible that you have a loose connection on the speedo? Loose connection or corrosion on the battery? Did you swap the voltage rectifier or check the connections on it for damage/corrosion after swapping?

·
Registered
231 Posts
I dunno....:confused:

"Always look where you've been" comes to mind. How do the stator windings wire into the electrical system??? Your charging system may be putting out 13-14v at idle, but you might have an intermittent ground somewhere in your charging system which comes and goes at speed, with changes in temp and vibration. This would explain everything but your headlamp going out completely---I would expect your headlamp to operate, if intermittently, with this problem.
The only thing I would look at is what you've probably already done - plugs and wires. Unless your ECU is on its way out - but again, this would not explain your headlamp going out...
Your bike is an '06 (if memory serves) so you could have corrosion issues in your wiring/plugs.

Like I said.... I dunno....:confused:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I did check the plugs prior but will pull them again. Now the stator isn't working either, at least by voltometer readings. I still can't get the headlight to work but I think the stator is the root of the problem. I am going to pull my tank and trace all the wiring this weekend. If that doesn't work, then off to the shop she goes anyway.

I was hoping I had messed the stator / regulator wiring up but it all looks right. It has to be an electrical problem but I sure can't seem to find the cause. On a side note, while the battery is charged the bike runs great minus headlight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts