Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having an issue with my bike and electrical problems are my worst nightmare. I went out to put the battery back in after winter hibernation and had all lights as normal after installing it, but when I hit the start button I heard a slight pop from the battery area and now nothing. When I took it out last fall I unplugged the 3 connectors attached to the battery hold down and the battery terminals - nothing else. The plugs are all different so it's impossible to mix them up and I hooked the battery terminals up right (also idiot proof). I found 2 fuses in there - a 10A and a 30A attached to a relay behind the coolant reservoir and both look good. Any ideas where else to look?

07 Nomad 1600

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
142 Posts
Good news you got it fixed. Might want to put a little dialectic grease in the connector, yes even on the battery it will help keep corrosion from forming. You live close enough to water that it's best to be proactive. Hopefully you can get out and ride soon.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't see where the spark was coming from the first time it happened so I took the battery out to make sure I hadn't pinched any wires. It was so much easier with the VStar to remove the battery. This one is under the seat and is surrounded by harnesses and connectors. I found nothing pinched so I reinstalled it, tried the key and it lit up, then fired right up. Shut it off, and tried again. I heard the pop again and dead. This time I noticed a spark near the positive terminal. So I disconnected the positive terminal and cleaned it up with emery cloth. After that it fired up 4 or 5 times easily. I'll get some dialetric grease and give all the connections under there a dab.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts