Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have run into something that is driving me crazy and I don't know where to look next. And to be honest, I have not "dug" into the bike too deep at this point as I am not sure where to start. Here is what is happening:

I will be riding and then all of a sudden, I will lose one cylinder and then a moment later, I loose the second. In two of the cases, I continued to glide along and try to resurrect the engine and then it comes back to life and all is well. One time, I had to pull to the side of the road and after several attempts to restart, it finally caught and then all was well. This last time, when I pulled to the side of the road, the battery was dead and I could not restart. These 4 failures occurred randomly over the last 3 months. However, the last 2 times were within the same week.

I had a suspicion that it could be either the battery or the stator. So, I pulled the battery and had it checked ... it is supposedly in good shape. I then re-installed it fired the bike up and checked the voltage across the battery terminals at several rpms ... all checked solid at 13 volts.

Some local friends have suggested that it might be the plugs or wires to them or possibly a grounding issue. To be honest, I am not sure where to start looking, but I am hoping that one of you have run into this or something similar so that you might be able to help me out of this problem.

Thanks so much for any help to resolve this issue, Sean.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What should the "normal" voltage be when at idle as well as at an elevated rpm so I can have something to compare to?

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
I do not usually do this, but these bikes are unique with their own laundry list of oddball problems/repairs, so go to this site:

www.vn750.com

If you get no luck there, post back

1 - 4 of 4 Posts