Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be using Gerbing heated liner and gloves, (8-9 amps total), on my Voyager 1700 and I also will be installing a Corbin heated seat, which is claimed to draw only 4 amps.

In traffic, I usually turn off heated items because of the low rpms.

I don't think these items will pose a problem, since I have read that the charging output on the is 655 watts @ 5,000 rpm.

I am wondering about the extra running, (fog), lights....does anyone know what current they draw? I can mix & match items, turning some of them off as needed to keep the current load down, but am curious if that is necessary with the Voyager charging system.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I have heated grips, seat, vest liner, and gloves. I have had them all on at the same time. I don't ride in traffic though but probably wouldn't need them all on if I were in traffic.

Why not monitor the output to make sure you are charging the battery as well as running your accessories.

·
Registered
386 Posts
One of the big selling points of this bike that Kawasaki refer to in the catalogue is the liquid cooled alternator and the ability of the charging system to run lots of electrical accessories.

I ran two full sets of heated gear when I used to take a passenger.

Plug it all in, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input, guys, I appreciate it.

I was thinking of installing an ammeter/voltmeter, glad you mentioned it, twowheeladdict.

Keef, good to hear that you ran all that heated gear without a problem, that is encouraging. Did you also use the fog lights at the same time?

I really can't imagine running everything electrical all at once on my bike, but wanted to know if the Vulcan could handle it if I found myself in that situation. We are planning a round-trip, coast-to-coast-coast, tour next summer and one never knows what the weather conditions could warrant.

Thanks again....

·
Registered
386 Posts
Thanks for the input, guys, I appreciate it.

I was thinking of installing an ammeter/voltmeter, glad you mentioned it, twowheeladdict.

Keef, good to hear that you ran all that heated gear without a problem, that is encouraging. Did you also use the fog lights at the same time?

I really can't imagine running everything electrical all at once on my bike, but wanted to know if the Vulcan could handle it if I found myself in that situation. We are planning a round-trip, coast-to-coast-coast, tour next summer and one never knows what the weather conditions could warrant.

Thanks again....
No fogs or spots on my ride.

·
Registered
48 Posts
70 watts, 5.33 amps

I will be using Gerbing heated liner and gloves, (8-9 amps total), on my Voyager 1700 and I also will be installing a Corbin heated seat, which is claimed to draw only 4 amps.

In traffic, I usually turn off heated items because of the low rpms.

I don't think these items will pose a problem, since I have read that the charging output on the is 655 watts @ 5,000 rpm.

I am wondering about the extra running, (fog), lights....does anyone know what current they draw? I can mix & match items, turning some of them off as needed to keep the current load down, but am curious if that is necessary with the Voyager charging system.

Thanks.
The fog/driving/passing lamps are 35 watts each. That makes 70 watts for the pair. 70 watts at 13.2 volts is 5.33 amps. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have a voltmeter on my Voyager, it plugs into the accessory outlet in the fairing.
I can run 2 heated jacket liners and heated grips all day long and the voltage never goes lower than 13, BUT if i turn on the stock driving lights as well the voltage begins to drop slowly and will eventually go down to 11.
Riding solo i can run with lights on and about 1/2 cycle time on the heated jacket and grips to keep the voltage above 12.5. One night just above freezing i had lights on and heat on full (didn't have the voltmeter yet) after 3-4 hours stopped for a coffee and the battery was about dead, had to bump start the bike.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i was also concerned I would be draining my battery using heated gear so I added a battery voltage monitor (basically a LED light which shows green, amber and red) to show how the alt. is working. fairly inexpensive (roughly 25 bucks including shipping) I have had it for 2 years and it seems to work good. I bought it from a company called spark bright

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again everyone for the information, it is all helpful.

Although I don't expect to run everything electrical at the same time, one can never predict what the driving conditions may require.

Adding a voltmeter is a good solution, thanks again for the input.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts