Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Long time member but haven't been active for a while.

Took my bike for a short ride to run errands and after 1 stop it wouldn't start up. Got the chattering sound. Got a boost and it ran for 5 mins but started running rough and died on me. Took battery home and charged it for as long as I could (4 hrs).

Bike started fine and got me home but noticed speedo wasn't working. Felt like it was running rough towards the end of the ride but got me into my garage and died again.

Tried started and chattered.

I have charged battery overnight and it has a full charge. Not convinced battery is the issue. Could it be the regulator? Could it be the stator? It does sound a bit whiny but I could be listening too hard.

Thanks,

Skinny Fatboy

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Suggest doing a simple check of the charging system by starting the engine, using a VOM (multimeter) and placing the probes on the positive and negative battery cable terminals, running the engine up to about 2000 rpms, and checking the voltage - should be in the neighborhood of 14v. If not, the problem likely is with the stator, or less likely, the rectifier/regulator.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Is this the original factory battery in the bike now?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Battery was replaced 2 or 3 seasons ago. I guess I have to find someone with a multimeter

·
Registered
48 Posts
While it could be just about anything at this point.....It sure sounds like a classic failed battery problem. Also make certain your cables are tightened with a wrench not just a screwdriver.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So for anyone interested it was confirmed as a failing stator. Ordered a new stator and cover gasket from Rick's Motorsport Electrics. Symptoms were not clear in not starting and inconsistent speedo failure but in the end it was the dam stator

And since everything is apart I have also ordered a new Baron front pulley. Really positive reviews so looking forward to a bike that starts and revs lower on the highway

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
About 25k.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts