Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my bike garaged for 3 weeks while I was on a business trip. Upon returning, the bike has no juice whatsoever. I tested the battery and it was completely drained. I tried charging it to no avail. So I went out and bought a new battery and my bike still will not even light up the accessories when I turn the key to ON. I tested this battery and it is good to go.

I didn't have much time to mess around with it but I did try to follow all the connections and wiring to look for burns, frays, and disconnects but found nothing.

Any suggestions before I tow it to the shop???

·
Registered
279 Posts
I assume you tested the new battery by measuring the voltage at the terminals. Did you do this under a load ? If not, you may want to recheck the battery voltage level with accessories on. Sounds like the new battery needs a charge.

·
Registered
122 Posts
if the batt is good i would check you fuses ...make sure no little rodents made a snack out of the wiring ..... then head back to basics tracing the wires to the fuses, ignition switch, starter and so forth

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I tested the battery also with the accessories on and it is good. Checked the fuses on the left side behind the key panel and they are fine. Checking the wiring now. I mean with a completely dead system I can't figure it to be anything more than a bad connection somewhere in the wiring system???? So far haven't found anything yet...

·
Registered
279 Posts
Do any of the electrical items work, light, fuel pump, indicator lamps on the speedo panel ? How about with the ignition switch in the park position ? If not, with an ohm meter, do you have continuity between the frame and the negative terminal of the battery ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I pinned it down to what I assume you would call a "starter fuse" on the relay right side of the bike where the positive comes in. Decided to replace all my fuses with the kind that glow when they break just to make things easier next time something should happen. Really do appreciate all the pointers though, fellas. And glad to be able to ride out again!:D:D:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts