Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been having a recurring problem with my 01 model involving water. Anything from a light wash to a downpour of rain will cause the rear cylinder to not fire. Fuel is reaching the cylinder but not igniting. Spark plugs and wires have been inconsistent with how they operate despite being new. This misfiring is causing the bike to only fire the rear cylinder when letting off the throttle, basically meaning that when accelerating, the rear is getting flooded with too much fuel for the barely functioning plugs/wires to burn. The issue typically fixes itself once it dries out over the course of a day or two, since the water evaporates from wherever it's causing the issue. Could this be water getting into the coil itself? I find it hard to believe that Kawasaki wouldn't address an issue involving plug exposure in the rain. I've ridden it through downpours without issue. It's only when it's been sitting in the rain or being washed, then started from cold. Everything runs great so long as it hasn't been exposed to too much water. I guess I'm looking for some preventative measures besides the obvious "don't keep it out in the rain".Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
248 Posts
First thing I would check is the rear coil, spark plug & spark plug wire. If it's running good now, if possible, swap the rear with the front. Do one thing at a time i.e. coil, what ever is easiest. Start it making sure it's still running good and spray some water (spray bottle) on the current rear coil, spark plug & spark plug wire and see if it changes. If no change, spray the front. Be careful when it starts missing, there's a lot of voltage coming from the coils, it will knock you on your butt. If it started missing on the front after you swapped coils, then you know the now front coil is the culprit. If it still misses on the rear, you know it's either the spark plug or wire.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Are the ears shaved?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ear shave as in getting rid of the stock breathers and adding pod filters directly off the carbs? Sorry I had to look up the procedure, if that's what you're referring to, mine definitely hasn't had that mod done.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I've not done that either and have no plans to do it. I've always wondered how rain affects those with an ear shave since water can now directly go into the carb.

Which is why I was curious if it could be your issue. Well, that is ruled out.

Ricksza seems to have a good troubleshooting suggestion. See if his procedure offers any insight for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts