Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I rode to work yesterday and today. For some reason I decided to check my lights before heading to a friends house after work. My right turn signals were flashing fast and the left were normal. I made one stop on the way to gas up. When I got toy friends I forgot my key in the on position, after 2 hours I realized and turned it off. When it was time to leave, my bike wouldn't start. I can't fathom that the battery would be toast as I replaced it 2 months ago. Any ideas as to what is wrong? I had to get my wife to come pick me up and bring the battery tender to plug it in overnight. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
So I rode to work yesterday and today. For some reason I decided to check my lights before heading to a friends house after work. My right turn signals were flashing fast and the left were normal. I made one stop on the way to gas up. When I got toy friends I forgot my key in the on position, after 2 hours I realized and turned it off. When it was time to leave, my bike wouldn't start. I can't fathom that the battery would be toast as I replaced it 2 months ago. Any ideas as to what is wrong? I had to get my wife to come pick me up and bring the battery tender to plug it in overnight. Thanks in advance for any help.

My guess is that the battery simply discharged and if you're lucky the battery tender will bring it back up again. One of your right side turn signal bulbs is either loose or has burned out. That's why your flasher is blinking fast, assuming you don't have LED's.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Same thing happend to me yesterday!! The key was on for about 3 hrs and the battery was dead!! I put it on the tender over night and have a green light today. Hope thats all it takes!!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Me too! I'll find out this afternoon when I head back to get it

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
the 900 and its battery issues.
i think you mean... riders and their bad memory...he forgot to turn off the key...thats not the bikes fault...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
A bike battery is sooo much smaller than a car battery (size and amp hours). The headlight doesn't turn off when the engine dies. The stock battery is 10 ah; the stock headlight is 55 watts: that's 6 amps. So you've got about 1.3 hours of headlight before you've killed the battery.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah it was jsut the battery. I managed to get it running when I stopped by this afternoon. Rode it home and plugged it back in to the battery tender. I also checked my right turn signals and they didn't seem loose or anything, they looked fine. So who knows what the issue is that's making them blink twice as fast.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Yeah it was jsut the battery. I managed to get it running when I stopped by this afternoon. Rode it home and plugged it back in to the battery tender. I also checked my right turn signals and they didn't seem loose or anything, they looked fine. So who knows what the issue is that's making them blink twice as fast.
If I remember correctly years ago when I hooked up a trailer to my car the turn signals flashed very quickly due to the added load. I had to buy a different "heavy duty" flasher. Is it possible one of your bulbs is burning brighter, meaning the filament is starting to short? An easy test is to move the bulbs from the right to the left and see if the fast flash moves with it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I remember correctly years ago when I hooked up a trailer to my car the turn signals flashed very quickly due to the added load. I had to buy a different "heavy duty" flasher. Is it possible one of your bulbs is burning brighter, meaning the filament is starting to short? An easy test is to move the bulbs from the right to the left and see if the fast flash moves with it.
I'll give that a shot. This isn't the first time I've noticed this with my right signals. It went away last time, so who kows!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Bulbs are cheap and they often come in pairs. Might just replace both right side bulbs and see if the issue goes away! USUALLY fast flash is due to a load issue, like a dead bulb, dying bulb, or even a bad flasher. Flashers are cheap too though.

I'll +1 the others. Just discharged the battery by leaving the key on, that's all. Nothing to be concerned about. If you are in the habit of leaving the key in your bike at certain places, maybe change that. I say that because, at certain places I'd leave my key in (like meeting with friends on friday nights to go eat, where I'm off the bike but can see it, waiting to decide where we wanna go, etc.) Those are the times I'd also leave the key ON and have a slow start (never killed it completely though, knock on wood, but been close). So, I've just gotten in the habit of the key going with me when I get off the bike, no matter what. (The 900 doesn't allow the key to come out when on like some other bikes).

Also, if it does happen, a battery tender is usually a better solution than a ride. Jumping/push starting/riding on a dead battery can be taxing to your bikes electrical system (your owners manual warns against it). If you're stranded you gotta do what you gotta do, but if you are given the choice, charge the battery with your battery tender instead of taking it for a quick 'recharge' cruise.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Battery

My guess is that the battery simply discharged and if you're lucky the battery tender will bring it back up again. One of your right side turn signal bulbs is either loose or has burned out. That's why your flasher is blinking fast, assuming you don't have LED's.
+1 on both counts. Good lluck, I hope it takes a recharge.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I never use the switch to kill my engine . That way I don't forget to turn the key off . Only had a dead battery when my stator failed .

·
Registered
84 Posts
I never use the switch to kill my engine . That way I don't forget to turn the key off . Only had a dead battery when my stator failed .
I agree, that switch on the bars is an emergency kill switch, not an engine control. That thing the key hangs in is the way to turn off the engine - funny it also turns off all the lights too!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I agree, that switch on the bars is an emergency kill switch, not an engine control. That thing the key hangs in is the way to turn off the engine - funny it also turns off all the lights too!
The MSF and others teach shutting the engine off with the kill switch in order to make it a habit or muscle memory in the event of an emergency. Just food for thought.

I do use my kill switch, it's just a habit and I don't like reaching down between my legs to get the key. I like to shut it off, then hop off and grab my key.

That kill switch is fickle though! I remember looking at a group of guys standing around an Ultra Classic at a bike show. It was a demo bike, but they couldn't get it to start. The tech from the dealership got there, and started running all sorts of tests with a multimeter. He's on the phone with the other techs on speaker, everyone is stumped as to why it won't start. I walked over there because I was gonna sign up for the demo ride. Then I happened to look over and notice the kill switch was off. I pointed it out, and the sales guy hit it and fired her right up. That poor tech looked SO embarassed.

So see? Getting in a habit of using the kill switch can prevent embarassment! LOL.

I think if my key was in a different spot I'd use it more. But it's just in a weird spot when you're sitting on it. Never killed it though!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The MSF and others teach shutting the engine off with the kill switch in order to make it a habit or muscle memory in the event of an emergency. Just food for thought
This is why I use it!

That kill switch is fickle though! I remember looking at a group of guys standing around an Ultra Classic at a bike show. It was a demo bike, but they couldn't get it to start. The tech from the dealership got there, and started running all sorts of tests with a multimeter. He's on the phone with the other techs on speaker, everyone is stumped as to why it won't start. I walked over there because I was gonna sign up for the demo ride. Then I happened to look over and notice the kill switch was off. I pointed it out, and the sales guy hit it and fired her right up. That poor tech looked SO embarassed.
ROFL I would have loves to see this!!

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
It's a hard habit to break but when I pull to a stop, I leave the bike in gear, clutch in, and lower the side stand shutting off the engine. Then I reach down to turn off the ignition and retrieve the key. We're not always able to park on level ground around here so keeping it in gear takes the threat away of the bike rolling of off the stand.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts