Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have two issues that I think are related. The first is since being in storage the red malfunction light with the grey indicator for battery voltage comes on after start and stays for about 10 seconds then goes away. Have ran it probably 15 times and this has happened each start. Last night on my way home from work the stereo started turning off and on, speakers cutting in and out and my lights were flickering at idle but no malfunction warning. As soon ad i got past about 2000rpms all electrical problems stopped and then back to idle they came back all the way home. Engine starts fine, battery cables tight, battery tested good at parts store 12.7 volts, 340/220CCA. I'm going to put the battery back in tonight and check for charging volts. Anyone have any experience with this issue?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've had that first issue. It was the battery. I also think both issues are related. If you have a meter, try starting the bike while watching the battery voltage, if it drops below 10v it's battery time. I've heard different voltages mentioned, but 10 is easier for my old brain to remember.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Tested how and at 12.7 volts it isn't TO good.
How old is the battery?
And please do the voltage check while starting.

Post back the above two things.

Also have you added any new electrical pieces?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tested with a load tester, battery is stamped November 2016. It has a louder horn wired with a fusible link and relay that's been on there since I bought it a year ago. It also has wires for a tender and the positive tender wire had come loose from the connector at the battery and I'm wondering if it was grounding on something. Put the battery back in without the tender harness and no more issues so far

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have two issues that I think are related. The first is since being in storage the red malfunction light with the grey indicator for battery voltage comes on after start and stays for about 10 seconds then goes away. Have ran it probably 15 times and this has happened each start. Last night on my way home from work the stereo started turning off and on, speakers cutting in and out and my lights were flickering at idle but no malfunction warning. As soon ad i got past about 2000rpms all electrical problems stopped and then back to idle they came back all the way home. Engine starts fine, battery cables tight, battery tested good at parts store 12.7 volts, 340/220CCA. I'm going to put the battery back in tonight and check for charging volts. Anyone have any experience with this issue?
My battery was bad last spring and I had the same light stay on for a few seconds after starting. I installed a new battery and the issue dissapeared. It turns over and starts much quicker now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts