Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am missing the Kawi ignition switch in my 2006 VN1600 Mean Streak.
I have made a make shift ignition switch using a 3-pole, single throw switch but the bike will turn over but not start, DFI relay will not turn on. (No fuel or spark.)

Another forum member suggested that there might be a resistor or something in the standard ignition switch that I'm missing that is preventing the ECU from actuating the DFI relay.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Tks

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did a web search on this subject this morning and found a thread on another motorcycle forum
that described the same symptoms / with a missing or bad ignition switch.

Apparently on all Kawasaki MCs with digital ignition there is a gray wire on the ignition that goes directly to the ECU. If the voltage coming from the ignition switch to the ECU is outside of the range of 6-9V , the ECU will not activate the DFI relay. My make shift ignition switch is supplying 12V to the ECU on this gray wire.

The stated resolution / solution from that same thread was to put a 100 ohm resistor in series with the wire going from the ignition switch to the ECU.

I have a selection of resistors on hand in my work shop so am going to see if I can find / make a 100 ohm resistor to put in series with the gray wire ...

I'll post back what happens ... Fingers crossed...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was the solution! I found a bunch of 1/4 watt 510 ohm resistors, twisted four of them in parallel to give me 125 ohms, added this resistor in series with gray wire and when I threw the on switch the ECU fired up DFI relay... Fuel Pump on and after a couple of cranks the engine started right up....

Sweet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts