Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Electrical Confusion on USB device and battery charging...

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  JeepJeff 
#1 ·
I bought one of these puppies for my 97 Vulcan 800 Classic and installed it today. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GKR2F6Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
When my bike is just sitting there idling I get a reading right around 14. When I turn the switch on and plug in a usb device or use the cigarette lighter the reading goes to 0.5ish (can't use usb unless the switch is turned on). I'm assuming that is the actual draw on the electrical system from the usb device and not indicative of the state of charge - am I correct in that assumption? Thanks in advance!

#4 ·
Where did you connect the positive and the negative?

Reactions: CrazyD350
#5 ·
I followed the manufacturers directions.
Wiring Connection:
The Red wire: connect the anode of the storage battery.
The Black wire: connect the cathode of the storage battery.

In doing some research on this particular unit it refers to showing the draw when switch is turned on and USB devices are in use. Checked this morning and meter reads 13.4 to 14 without anything hooked up. I also learned that if engine is running it shows charging voltage and when engine is off it shows draw. All is good

Reactions: Sabre-t
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.