Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often does your cooling fan run??
It seems like mine runs all the time. Even on cool days. Highway riding in town riding it seems like its always on.
Its a 2011 nomad 1700 with 4600 mile. The bike is stock.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Mine only comes on at the 3/4 mark and cuts off shortly after I start moving

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Mine behaves like sbg8r as well. Just in town, in traffic, or when stopped. Never comes on at speed.

·
Registered
281 Posts
How often does your cooling fan run??
It seems like mine runs all the time. Even on cool days. Highway riding in town riding it seems like its always on.
Its a 2011 nomad 1700 with 4600 mile. The bike is stock.
The bikes come lean from factory which causes a hotter running motor, but the fan should not kick on until the coolant temp reaches 3/4 on the guage as others have said. How can you tell the fan is running when the bike is moving at speed? :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
At speed even off the fan will rotate... or at least mine does... just not as fast...

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cant tell if the fan is on when at moving at speed.

But just a scenario for ya. 70-75 degrees outside. riding 70 mph come off an exit to a stop sign less then a 1/4 mile. When you stop you can hear the fan running. Back road same temp running 55 mph come to a stop sign when stopped I can hear and see the fan running. No temp gauge on the nomad

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I think just the mere fact it has a temp gauge, and it does run hotter on the dial then what you are used to causes unnecessary worry about the engine temp. I ahve had temp gauges many times before, like now I seldom look at it....

The ONLY heat issue I had was burning right leg. After I wrapped the pipes the first month I had it I have never had an uncomfortable ride since. Even in 110 degree traffic.....

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Yeah Bubba, and I've said this elsewhere, I think we've been spoiled/tricked with cars with 'fake' temp gauges that peg themselves to the middle (or some other pre-programmed position). Virtually no cars anymore, or for years, have had actual temp gauges. Just fake gauges programmed to go to a certain spot in a certain amount of time, then jump to "H" if it overheats. Think of the temp gauge in your car as an "analog idiot light". So when the Vaq/Voyager temp gauge climbs we panic.

I wouldn't mind if the fan came on a little earlier to maybe prevent it from getting a little warm at a stop by being a bit more preemptive. But I'm sure the Kawi engineers knew what they were doing and there are good reasons for it coming on when it does.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I could buy the temp gauge theory if I had one.

But I don't. I have a light. I am thinking that the fan just runs a lot. On these bikes.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have a Voyager, with a temp gauge and as said the fan doesn't run much when i'm moving. when stopped in traffic the needle goes to 3/4 or so and fan comes on. All this with the stock fairing lowers installed.
With the fairing lowers removed the temp needle sits higher all the time even at highway speeds and the fan is often running. I think the fairing lowers direct more airflow through the rad and results in lower temps and less frequent fan running.
Your Nomad, with no lowers, likely runs hotter than Voyagers and Vaqueros but with no gauge it hard to compare.
Bottom line....... if the HOT light is not on everything is operating as it should, just ride!

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
A light is about all you need really. But it does make you wonder at what temp it actually comes on. At almost hot, hot, OMG it's HOT, or I'm gonna blow chunks.....

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As stated buy gv550 just ride. Thats what I am going to do.

Just a little info I found out t-stat should open at 136f Fan should come on at 203f and shut off at 194f

·
Registered
45 Posts
Engine Temp

My Concours ran up in the same temp range as my Voyager does now. As with the Concours, I changed the coolant to Engine Ice. It was done by my Dealer, to avoid any issues with warranty. It still gets warm, but spends less time on the fan now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts