Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I’ve been having an issue with my ‘12 1700 classic. Every now and then it will fail when starting, battery will crank then all the electronics will go out. If I turn the bike off and wait 30seconds to a minute and try again it will start right up without a problem but the clock, tripometer and mpg are fully reset. I have checked the battery and it’s running 13.5 volts and never drops below 11 under load. Connections are clean and tight. Bike is stock using and EarthX lithium battery. This happened before when the stock battery was dying, but since this one is going strong I’m looking for ideas. Thanks for your expertise.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
1. I do not think it is an ECU failure.
2. Are you using the recommended diagnostic charger for your battery?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m not sure I understand the question, i’m checking It with a standard issue voltmeter. I never really hook it up to a charger of any kind, I ride pretty much everyday. Bike never sits for more than a week if I’m on vacation.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Battery dieing or a blank cable creating a short. Had such a thing on an ATV.

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
1. Check the stickies at the top of the 1700 section. There are 3 that might pertain to you.
2. Lithium batteries are fussy when it comes to charging/cell balancing. Most manufacturers recommend a diagnostic check with their specified charger once in a while. Check the website of the make of your battery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah, now I understand! Thank you sfair, there was an option to buy the battery with a diagnostic charger when I bought it. I opted not to because the bike never sits. I guess I’ll get it separately.

My first thought was also a dying battery Sven, when it checked out I was afraid it might be a short somewhere along the path.

Thank you both, and happy 4th!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just wanted to update what was happening with this. My testing made it seem as though the battery was fine, never dropping below 11v under load, holding around 13.5v after sitting overnight etc, so battery seemed fine. Took it to the shop where he ran diagnostics on the battery to find a short in the battery or a dead cell. Luckily, I still have 3 months left on the 2 year warranty. I contacted the battery maker today. Customer service was amazing. It took a total of about 30min from filling out the online warranty request to having a real person contact me and tell me they can get a new battery out to me tomorrow, and where I can recycle the broken one. EarthX batteries is the brand if anyone is curious. Thought I owed them at least a shout out. Thanks for your help everyone.

·
Registered
38 Posts
So funny you should post this as the same thing was happening to me. I would have that same issue, happen every now and then. Maybe once out of every 15-20 starts. It then settled down and was no longer an issue. Than, two weekends ago, I was about 30-miles from my home, riding my bike. I wanted to stop and take a picture as I was on a nice, deserted back road, but the road was on an incline, so I turned off my bike so I can leave it in gear so it wouldn't roll back. I took my picture, went back to the bike, turned the key, and... nothing. Not a light, not a click, just nothing.

Fortunately, a dude on another bike happened to be riding down the road about 10-minutes after I had the seat out and was trying to get power to my bike. He tried to help, but was as baffled as I was. He was great though and went home and brought his van and trailer and got me home (I made him take $100 for his troubles since it was a bit of a drive).

I tried to jump the bike off of my truck, but still nothing, so I feared there was something else wrong with the bike. I am not good at tracking down electrical issues, and this bike has so man electronics, so I just decided to have a shop look at it. I took it to a shop about a mile from my home that I trust. Ultimately, they tested the battery and I had a bad cell. It was weird I wouldn't even get any lights or anything, but they replaced the battery. Also, he found that the connection from the key switch was also really dirty with a bad connection that they took that out and cleaned it up. Now, the bike fires up, I get electrical to everything, and I am a happy camper.

Anyhow, didn't want to steal your thread with my issues, but thought I would just add my experience in case this happens to someone else and it goes beyond the battery.

Dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts