Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all.

Has anyone installed the EBC Organic brakes?

I have installed them un my VN900LT. The front brakes emmit a "Trrrrrrr" sound everytime I apply the brake lever. It's quiet otherwise. I re-installed the old ones and the sound is gone. I've done this multiple times with the same outcome. I can't see anything different or odd in the pad or installation.

Has anyone experienced this? Have a fix?

Thanks,

Denis

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long have you had them on?

I'm thinking wear in myself. I sent 2 e-mails to EBC within the last 2 weeks with no reply.

I was wondering as well if the rotor hole patterns (different on front and back) might have something to do with it. The EBC's also have a different surface make up. One large cut down the center where the kawi originals have three slash marks. If I get no response from EBC, and no wear in affect I'll consider tayloring the pad surface.

·
Registered
976 Posts
You SHOULD have just gone with OEMs and you'd be happy like I am with my front brake.

Now, my rear? That's another story, dangit!

·
Registered
657 Posts
OKay, I'll bite!!! ORGANIC BRAKES...why? Is there something in the OEM jobbers that is unhealthy for my ride. High colesterol? Preservitivres? Pesticides? Sorry, I just don't get it...:confused:

(((Maybe I should be using poly-unsaturated motor oil)))....

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I was thinking about some hemp pads. That way if they heated up, at least I'd have something to do while I wait for them to cool down.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Denis....I thought it was just me...yep, same thing...noticed it right away. Not sure why though...but I think it may have something to do with the rotor wear pattern..Maybe?? I was thinking about the sintered pads ...but they're pricy.
I have sintered pads on my Roadstar. They're noisy whether the brakes are applied or not. They do stop the bike incredibly quick, but are harder on the rotors.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Organic is just the name that EBC give to their Kevlar and other components that are blended together to make the pad.

The "organic" are typically very quiet. You don't get any noise with them. I used them on my other ride and they are great. Reduce the squeaking/squealing to zero noise. You stop and that's it. They are also extremely friendly on the rotors and wear very well.

EBC has some great litteratute on these.

Cheers....or should I say "Up in smoke!"

·
Registered
657 Posts
I was thinking about some hemp pads. That way if they heated up, at least I'd have something to do while I wait for them to cool down.
LOL. I'll bet they'd sell a million of them.
If you're riding in California and are nauseated for any reason... they'd already be leagal to use and enjoy... :eek: (far out maaan)

·
Registered
487 Posts
I could just see me trying to explain a failed random drug test at work. "Honestly it's the brake pads on my bike, but I swear I didn't inhale"!:D

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did a road trip 14hrs return. Spent dome city driving...highway won't do much for brakes except for the hard braking required when cruising at 70 mph and suddenly everyone brakes and comes to a dead stop in 2 point 2! Brakes worked great and even squaked the tires. In town same Trrrrr. I replaced them with the originals but those were noisy all the time. Except for the Trrrr the EBC's are dead quiet. I checked out the pads side by side. There seems to be just a bit less metal on the inside brake shoe nib that sits next to the inner post and the side section (Front brake). This may be a little play that makes the pad bounce a bit to cause the Trrr. Will investigate some more. They are still better than stock. I just whish I'd think of throwing them on when everything is new! Whose knows maybe the Trrr will keep the criters away!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Denis....I thought it was just me...yep, same thing...noticed it right away. Not sure why though...but I think it may have something to do with the rotor wear pattern..Maybe?? I was thinking about the sintered pads ...but they're pricey.
Not to be a tool but can you put a price on being able to stop quickly? Why would you want to use organic pads? There are reasons why we don't use them anymore on cars. They would never hold up to an ABS application.

·
Registered
142 Posts
cruiser331 -- Well.........years ago I used sintered pads...Worked the best kind// but I found that the rotors were scoring....Tried them again on a 750k with a 900 front end.......same thing.....rotors scored.....So I did the organic thing....good stopping...no scored rotors....That's the reason ....ABS I don't have...so....no problem....I use what works for me...i don't USUALLY follow the pack UNLESS I have found that the soloution works better,,,Works for me.!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Totally agree. Don't be fooled or get hung up with the organic title. Look at the specs from the EBC site. These are made of high grade material like the one's used in the space program. These things are built tough. They are used in competitive applications as well. There's no compromise in safety here just noise...none of it that is!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Not to be a tool but can you put a price on being able to stop quickly? Why would you want to use organic pads? There are reasons why we don't use them anymore on cars. They would never hold up to an ABS application.
read below

Totally agree. Don't be fooled or get hung up with the organic title. Look at the specs from the EBC site. These are made of high grade material like the one's used in the space program. These things are built tough. They are used in competitive applications as well. There's no compromise in safety here just noise...none of it that is!
I love EBC brakes for 'critical performance' applications (solo racing, motorcycles, things that really matter like that), I'm not sure if wagner makes any for our bikes but that's what I use on my dd.

The 'gold' or 'silver' or whatever brakes I stay away from, as they're usually made in China, where they can't make good cat food. If they can't make good cat food, I'm sure they can't make good brakes. Ditto for rotors. I found some TRW rotors for my Jeep on ebay, $70 for 2 shipped. They're a lot better made than the 'white box' parts store rotors.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts