Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the part # of the ebc rear pads and front ones too, for a Vaquero? Also, which is better, sintered, organic, semi sintered? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've tried EBC pads, (sorry, I forget the part numbers) but they are a waist of money, poor performance and wear quickly. Just buy OEM pads.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rear part # is FA231HH I haven't done the fronts yet. I would like to know this to because it won't be long before the fronts need it.
I found an application chart that says the front brake pads are FA229HH for the left and FA231HH for the right. I can't vouch for the accuracy of this, but it's what I found.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I found an application chart that says the front brake pads are FA229HH for the left and FA231HH for the right. I can't vouch for the accuracy of this, but it's what I found.
Sounds right, when I did the rear I looked at the fronts and the caliper looked the same on the right side and reversed on the left.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Does anyone know the part # of the ebc rear pads and front ones too, for a Vaquero? Also, which is better, sintered, organic, semi sintered? Thanks for your help.
I have sold and ONLY use EBC pads on all my and my customer skoots. Thru the years of making comparisons amongst different brands EBC pads have come out on top for braking quality and longevity.

The EBC pads for the front of the Vaquero is FA158HH. Pads for the rear are the FA231 style. It is available in 2 compounds

The HH version as is all HH pads is a dramatic improvement over stock pads is fine for front brake usage, I have the FA231HH pads on the rear of my skoot. In normal braking they are fine, but hit that rear brake pedal just a little bit too hard and the extra friction of the HH pads will lock the rear wheel much easier than the stock pads.

EBC recognized this tendency in the rear brake of cruisers and came out with what is called the V2 series. I may give them a try as I have had instances where I have locked up the rear wheel...not good.

So the correct part # for the rear pads is FA213HH for their best pads, or FA231/2V for the V2 series of pads.

These are all the numbers you need to know for the Vaq as EBC has erroneous listings for the front pads on the Vaquero.

ALL SKOOTS for over 25+ years have been coming from the factory equipped with sintered pads. I do not recommend organic pads as they tend to polish and gall rotors creating an uneven wear pattern on the rotors.

I also HIGHLY recommend flushing and bleeding ALL hydraulic systems with fresh DOT 4 fluid at least once every 2 years, every year in hotter or humiod climates.

RACNRAY

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have sold and ONLY use EBC pads on all my and my customer skoots. Thru the years of making comparisons amongst different brands EBC pads have come out on top for braking quality and longevity.

The EBC pads for the front of the Vaquero is FA158HH. Pads for the rear are the FA231 style. It is available in 2 compounds

The HH version as is all HH pads is a dramatic improvement over stock pads is fine for front brake usage, I have the FA231HH pads on the rear of my skoot. In normal braking they are fine, but hit that rear brake pedal just a little bit too hard and the extra friction of the HH pads will lock the rear wheel much easier than the stock pads.

EBC recognized this tendency in the rear brake of cruisers and came out with what is called the V2 series. I may give them a try as I have had instances where I have locked up the rear wheel...not good.

So the correct part # for the rear pads is FA213HH for their best pads, or FA231/2V for the V2 series of pads.

These are all the numbers you need to know for the Vaq as EBC has erroneous listings for the front pads on the Vaquero.

ALL SKOOTS for over 25+ years have been coming from the factory equipped with sintered pads. I do not recommend organic pads as they tend to polish and gall rotors creating an uneven wear pattern on the rotors.

I also HIGHLY recommend flushing and bleeding ALL hydraulic systems with fresh DOT 4 fluid at least once every 2 years, every year in hotter or humiod climates.

RACNRAY
Thanks for the info, Ray. We on this forum are indeed lucky to have you as a member!

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Just to make sure the FA158HH for both sides up front and should fit the Nomad and Voyager as well right?
The FA158 pads are ONLY for the Voyager/Vaquero with the 4 piston front calipers.

The Nomad/Classic use the 229 pads on the left front caliper and the 231 pads for the right front caliper.

RACNRAY

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
I put the Double H Sintered pads on my Mean Streak and absolutely loved them. They were an obvious improvement from the stock pads in every way. My only complaint is that the first application of the day would let out a little groan or squeal as the pads cleaned the surface rust and crud off the rotors. After that, they were WONDERFUL!

http://ebcbrakes.com/product/double-h-superbike-pads/

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have a question. I still have stock pads on the bike. When I'm in stop and go or very slow moving traffic I get the moan and groan from front and rear. My best guess is the rotors and or pads are heating up. This just doesn't seem right to me. Anybody have any suggestions?

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a question. I still have stock pads on the bike. When I'm in stop and go or very slow moving traffic I get the moan and groan from front and rear. My best guess is the rotors and or pads are heating up. This just doesn't seem right to me. Anybody have any suggestions?
I was getting that too. When I checked the pads, they were worn down to nothing!! I just installed the new pads this morning, and the noise is gone. The front pads were fine, maybe 20,000 miles left on them. The rear pads were toast. 28,860 miles.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I was getting that too. When I checked the pads, they were worn down to nothing!! I just installed the new pads this morning, and the noise is gone. The front pads were fine, maybe 20,000 miles left on them. The rear pads were toast. 28,860 miles.
My pads are fine as far as thickness is concerned. They only have 6800 miles on them. This only happens with stop and go or very slow moving traffic.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
My pads are fine as far as thickness is concerned. They only have 6800 miles on them. This only happens with stop and go or very slow moving traffic.
JEFF...there was a point in time waaay back my skoot did the same thing, front brakes moaning and groaning in slow stop-n-go traffic. I never did anything and that moaning and groaning eventually went away. Best I can guess is the pads went thru a "seasoning" in process. My pads were like urs, plenty of life left.

This occurrence has been reported by others and seems to be more of a nuisance than a safety factor.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
701 Posts
JEFF...there was a point in time waaay back my skoot did the same thing, front brakes moaning and groaning in slow stop-n-go traffic. I never did anything and that moaning and groaning eventually went away. Best I can guess is the pads went thru a "seasoning" in process. My pads were like urs, plenty of life left.

This occurrence has been reported by others and seems to be more of a nuisance than a safety factor.

RACNRAY
Thanks for the answer Ray. I knew you would chime in about this. It's not a constant problem. It even goes away after 1 or 2 hard stops. I just found it to be a strange occurrence. On a different note I've been looking at the new Z1000 to add to the stable. I knew going to the dealer was a bad idea...lol

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
The FA158HH are what I put on my Voyager last month. The stock pads were making all kinds of moans and groans and noises like they were possessed....

By the way.... the dealer said the EBC FA158HH pads was the only way to go because the stock pads were crap and he did not even stock them.

About 2,500 miles and not a complaint from the front brakes yet... the stock pads were crying from day one...

I would recommend looking on Ebay or Amazon for better pricing than a Kawasaki dealer.... I will next time for sure...

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I know this is an older thread, but am having a wear issue on my 12 Voyager ABS. My stock rear pads lasted through 27k miles. Replaced them with the EBC pads, no HH in part number. Just put 3rd set on today in less than 9k miles. Bled and changed fluid with 1st change. When these were replaced 2k miles later, check caliper for smooth operation and all seemed fine, so thought I may have been dragging the brake when resting my foot on the highway peg. Well, checked them today and they were done again. This time I did notice the rotor is getting a light ridge weher the pads run on it. Parts man at dealer suggested possible rotor issue causing the wear. Any suggestions as to what else it could be, or are the pads just not holding up because they are not HH pads? At $250+ for a rotor, dont want to replace and still have this kind of wear.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 27 Posts