Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for 1" risers to replace the barons 2.5" pull back risers on my 900. The PO thought mini apes and pull back risers work together. Well, not for me! Anyways, I need OEM spec risers so I can use a 12" ape hanger bar. Bike came with extended cables; so, that's not an issue.

I've been prowling around Ebay and like the 1" spike risers. For one, they are much cheaper than any of the name brands and they would match the spiked Avon grips. So, my concern is quality. Compared to the more expensive risers, is there anything about the cheaper ones I should be worried about?

These are the risers I'd like to get: XH Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic Custom CHROME 1''inch Spike Handlebar Risers | eBay.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
Compared to the more expensive risers, is there anything about the cheaper ones I should be worried about?
I know it's a hassle, CRG, but I'd get'em...open the packaging very carefully and hold onto all packaging for return purposes...then compare'em to my current risers quality.

If they don't have the weight and structural integrity..feel "pot metal-ish"..then back to the seller they go.

You may have just stumbled on a good deal that...if pass your inspection...could save some other folks here some money on some good lookin' risers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Be sure to update, these a place here in Canada that also sell them. I may pick up a set if they are any good.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes and look at what you get.
The last set of aftermarket risers I bought, I had to run down to the hardware store for some longer bolts to tighten down the bars correctly. Just sayin'

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
Hey Buskman, I noticed you have a CBG as your avatar. Do you play?
You have a trained eye, my friend...meaning your either build, play, or both :good:

Yessir...I do. You? ...I can see an "Off Topic Lounge" thread comin' on.. :good:

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have a trained eye, my friend...meaning your either build, play, or both :good:

Yessir...I do. You? ...I can see an "Off Topic Lounge" thread comin' on.. :good:
I do play some guitar. I play on a 1980's American-made Peavey T-30 Strat. I've watched a few good players (Mike Snowden and Justin Johnson) on YouTube and became interested in CBG's. I haven't got my hands on one yet. I would like to build my own; however, I need to see one in person first. Mike Snowden builds and sells his own for a decent price and will probably be where my first CBG comes from.

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
I do play some guitar. I play on a 1980's American-made Peavey T-30 Strat. I've watched a few good players (Mike Snowden and Justin Johnson) on YouTube and became interested in CBG's. I haven't got my hands on one yet. I would like to build my own; however, I need to see one in person first. Mike Snowden builds and sells his own for a decent price and will probably be where my first CBG comes from.
When you do, my friend...you WILL NOT want to put it down!

They are so much fun to play.

I own two...but have built zero. That is slowly about to change, though, as I gain more confidence and knowledge on the "building" side of CBGs.

I have been a guitarist for over 35 years so playing...naturally came before...building.

The two artists you mentioned, Snowden and Johnson, are a joy to watch and listen to. I constructed a tune similar in feel to this one by Snowden...:

·
Registered
637 Posts
If a thread is gonna go off-topic like that - it's not often in such a toe-tappin all around good time direction. Thanks for that clip Buskman... I learned what a CBG is today, and enjoyed doing so.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When you do, my friend...you WILL NOT want to put it down!

They are so much fun to play.

I own two...but have built zero. That is slowly about to change, though, as I gain more confidence and knowledge on the "building" side of CBGs.

I have been a guitarist for over 35 years so playing...naturally came before...building.

The two artists you mentioned, Snowden and Johnson, are a joy to watch and listen to. I constructed a tune similar in feel to this one by Snowden...:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN7nVZbZue0
That's one of my favorites along with Mr. Evil.

I haven't been playing for quite as long, maybe 20 years. I still feel like my playing is on par with a first year player, though. That Peavey of mine is hard to replace; however, it can't compete with the newer guitars. Ever tried a glossed neck? Slightest bit of sweat and your fingers have brakes all of a sudden.

I think building a CBG could be easy. There is an online store which offers all sorts of parts for building a CBG. You could make one as cheap or as expensive as you want. I still want to buy one first before building my own.

Peg, CBG's are awesome. They don't have to be made from a cigar box, either. I've seen some made from shovels and oil cans. CBG's typically have 3 or 4 strings and are tuned to either open D or open G. They basically derive from the diddly bow which was what pre-civil war African Americans built and played during slavery times. It's basically a broom handle with a single string of fencing wire attached to it with a wooden box of some sort attached to amplify the sound. Bonus fact, the banjo is not an American instrument. It is another instrument derived from Africa.

Yeah, I'm bit of an instrument nut sometimes. I once made my own didgeridoo from PVC piping. One could make a didgeridoo out of anything as long as the dimensions are correct. Additionally, I "can" throat sing to an extent. I learned to do that while truck driving. I lost my voice for a week.

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
If a thread is gonna go off-topic like that - it's not often in such a toe-tappin all around good time direction. Thanks for that clip Buskman... I learned what a CBG is today, and enjoyed doing so.
Glad you enjoyed it, Peg!

First...Thank CRG...cuz...it's all his fault!!! :laugh2:

And two...ya'spose if I post a thread about risers in The Lounge...equaling everything out...that Management will be soothed and won't kick CRG and I out??? :grin2:

And three'dly...THANK YOU to all members and lurkers past, present, and future for briefly putting up with such nonsense whilst researching risers for your Vulcans...here in the Great Halls we affectionately refer to as...The Forums.

And now..we return you to your regularly scheduled program.. "Finding Great Risers for Your Vulcan...at Minimal Cost" :serious:

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
Keep us posted, CRG... :good:

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
...The spike is pointy sharp!
Well...I don't know'bout anyone else up in here...but...dat's da'Deal Maker right'der, yo..

Thanks for the update CRG!

Post pics when'ya can, my friend :good:

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
MAaan, Dogg!...you weren't kiddin'bout them things being "Pointy Sharp"...

...Those things look like they could fetch their own supper if you got'em mad enough...:serious:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts