Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a new windshield and Phat II risers. The control cables and hoses on the handlebar don't have as much slack as I'd like. Everything works okay, lock to lock, but I figure that there's too much stress on the cables and one or more will eventually fail.

I seem to recall that there is a way to snake the handlebars through the triple tree, relieving the stress on the cables, but I can't remember the procedure nor can I figure out how to do it without dismantling everything.

Anyone help me out here?

thanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
Kerry - Did you ever find out a good way to reroute the lines and cables? I'm waiting for my Phat II's to arrive and would appreciate any advice.

(Your folks gave you a fine name by the way :D)

Cheers,
Kerry

·
Registered
487 Posts
Lift the front end slightly. Remove the Steering stem head nut and washer. (the big one in the center of the triple tree). Loosen both clamp bolts holding the triple to the forks. Lift the triple off the forks and fish the cables behind the triple tree.

I believe I posted photos after I did mine back in January!

Found the photos. http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12627&page=2

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks, they look great on your bike. I don't have a service manual yet. Do you know what to torque the steering sten nut to afterwards?

Cheers,
Kerry

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
We were able to reroute the cables without taking the top trees off. All we had to remove was the wiring for the clutch safety switch. Just a bunch of creative twisting when we had the controls off...

I now see what you mean by not wanting to remove everything. We were installing new bars at the time...

·
Registered
487 Posts
Thanks, they look great on your bike. I don't have a service manual yet. Do you know what to torque the steering sten nut to afterwards?

Cheers,
Kerry
Steering stem head nut 36 ft-lbs. Upper front fork bolts 15 ft-lbs.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Steering stem head nut 36 ft-lbs. Upper front fork bolts 15 ft-lbs.
Hey, thanks very much! My wife phoned me at work to say my risers arrived today so hopefully tonights the night!

·
Registered
121 Posts
So using the advice above, I re-routed my lines and installed the Phatrisers II. Wow, what a difference! Here's a before and after image of my arm positioning:

I may still 'roll' the bars up a little, but I sure don't feel that stretched arm ache any more. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to give it a little more of a try-out than the hour ride I had time for last night when I finished.

Installation was pretty straightforward. I took my time and everything worked out fine. Not having a motorcycle jack, I used the makeshift one shown here, and it worked like a charm.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Looks good. My results look pretty much the same. How tall are you. I'm 5'6". Trying to get a feel for where the Mustang seat would place me.

·
Registered
658 Posts
tag for future reference. thanks for the tips guys!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Looks good. My results look pretty much the same. How tall are you. I'm 5'6". Trying to get a feel for where the Mustang seat would place me.
I'm around 5' 10-1/2".

Forgot to mention in my earlier post - the micropolished aluminum looks great! So far I'm glad I didn't spring for chrome. Hope it holds up as well as they say.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just put a mustang on mine - I'm 6'2" and it moved me slightly up and forward...but not too much - the seat is worth it. I've had them on several previous bikes.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Just put a mustang on mine - I'm 6'2" and it moved me slightly up and forward...but not too much - the seat is worth it. I've had them on several previous bikes.
It's the slightly UP that has me concerned.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It's the slightly UP that has me concerned.
I think it's really more forward than anything - which is a product of how the integrated the passenger pillon to creat a small back support for the rider. I would think it's only up an inch or so at most - but of course you and I are looking for different things...with my long legs it's the forward that bothers me. But again, that's not that bad.

Good Luck

·
Registered
121 Posts
Are you looking at the seat with the driver backrest (which is what I have) or without?

I think it's really more forward than anything - which is a product of how the integrated the passenger pillon to creat a small back support for the rider. I would think it's only up an inch or so at most - but of course you and I are looking for different things...with my long legs it's the forward that bothers me. But again, that's not that bad.

Good Luck
Strange - I could swear that this seat moved be back a little, but as I say, this is the one with the removable backrest - not the one where the front of the passenger seat provides support for the driver. It's possible that it's just the leaning back that made me reach for the handlebars - but it wasn't until the Mustang that I would have even considered risers. Someday I'm going to dig out my old seat and see how far up it moved me. I can't believe it's much.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts