Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have disabled the reed valve on my VN900. I am attaching a picture because it was so simple. The little white clip is a thing you find in kitchen gadget stores, through Pampered Chef or, as I did, in my wife's old breast milk pump kit. Man I miss those days! It is designed to close off the end of small plastic bags to keep the food fresh. I found that it was just perfect to crimp the hose closed and can be removed for inspections and such. Hope someone finds this useful.

Attachments

·
Registered
657 Posts
Hmmmm..... I can only see a couple of problems with that approach. The clip is visable and not only would that drive me nuts :eek: (looks too much like an umbilical cord clamp used on newborns), but the EPA police could easily see it as well. I also have doubts as to how good a seal you would get trying to pinch a hose of that nature. I put the marble in mine and it can easily be removed...:cool:

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To Murphy:
The reed valve allows outside air from your air filter box to flow into the exhaust. This is one of those EPA things. Sometimes (especially on deceleration) there is unburned gasoline vapor in your exhaust gases and the greenies go nuts over releasing unburned hydrocarbons into the atmosphere. The reed valve puts air (oxygen) into the exhaust so that the heat will be able to ignite the vapors before they go out of the tail pipe. On a bike that has all of its stock baffles, this is no big deal. The "stock" exhaust system is so good at making the bike sound like a Buick, that you never hear the backfire noise caused by burning these vapors. However, when you de-baffle the exhaust (even stage one) you will start to hear these nasty pops on deceleration. By disabling the reed valve you cut off the supply of oxygen and therefore the vapor can't ignite, so your bike sounds better.

To Rollingbones:
I can understand not wanting to see the clip for astetic. Maybe I am not as anal as I thought I was. Of course, my other toy is a Jeep and they look better with home-made add ons.

As for the EPA police, I would just take it off before an inspection. I doubt a local street cop would even notice it if I got stopped.

How do you get the marble out of yours? That sounded like a permanent deal to me.

·
Registered
657 Posts
To get the marble out, just squirt a very small amount to water into the tube and milk it out. It may even come out if the marble is small enough. No worry about it passing in either direction as it won't go through either port. It just needs to be snug enough to not roll freely. As for the clip, I'm not as worried about the EPA police as my seeing it on there and even worse having to explain everytime someone else sees it. At the present time there is no smog testing for motorcycles here in CA. Seems kinda wierd since they're so hot about cage smog. Go figure!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts