Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Easy exhaust mod!

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Bay Rider 
#1 · (Edited)
Did not want to have aftermarket exhausts on my 2016 Custom- done that before but too loud for where I live now. Did not want to remove rivets and drill back plate or do full debaffle. So punched out baffle plate about 6" inside mufflers, today. Louder but not too loud, deeper and unexpectedly has removed some restriction when accelerating - seems smoother and a bit less hesitant. Could go into next baffle plate, seen on pic, but for the moment this mod will be fine. If anyone is interested, this method is pretty easy. I used a long crosshead screwdriver for a centre punch, a masonry 1/4" bit to make hole and a sharpened 3/4" tube to widen. All hit with a hammer. Pipes are a bit cooler due to less restriction.
Automotive tire Water Alloy wheel Rim Automotive lighting

See less See more
#2 ·
Interesting modification. The all done with a hammer is a bit scary, but it seems to work. Imagine the same result could be achieved by using a punch and a couple of drill bits. Understandable to do this halfway mod, since the aftermarket exhausts have two volume levels. Loud and Louder. Thanks for sharing this.
Any chance you could post a sound video clip so the members can hear what to expect.

#7 ·
OK decided to drill the second plate today rather than bash it. Used a 10mm masonry bit on the slower drill speed. You can see the two plates pierced and through to the cat.

At first the engine raced a lot but after about 1 minute it settled to normal, presumably when the ECU adjusted to the new flow. I dropped the idling speed down a bit too. I may open both plate holes up to 20mm which is the next size bit I have. This would be full aperture down the tube.
Asphalt Gas Automotive tire Plastic bottle Road surface

Not sure if this would reduce back pressure too much. Certainly is louder, deeper and seemingly pulls better and smoother at higher speeds. I want mainly to cover the stock engine whining sound these bikes all seem to have. May go full bore, not sure. Don't want to remove baffle because I like the stock black pipes and you still can't really see anything has been done to the pipes. Sounding nice but not anti-social !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.