Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is noone in this forum from East Tennessee? (Knoxville, Maryville, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, Johnson City?) I currently live in Sevierville, about 30 minutes away from KNoxville, 20 minutes away from the Great Smokey Mountain National Park, and about 45 minutes away from Cherokee (Cherokee Survivors bike rally). I really suspected there would be a few more riders up my way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
East TN Rider...well

I live 1/2 time in the Knoxville area (near Johnson Bible College)...

I live the other 1/2 time in Nashville

Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic resides in Nashville

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thats awesome, my girl lives about 10 minutes away from JBC, do you go there?

·
Registered
5 Posts
No, I graduated from JBC a LONG time ago. I have lived all over the Eastern half of the US. Moved back to TN about 14 years ago.

I wish I has a motorcycle in each place, but that would be asking a bit much I guess. Getting to fight Nashville traffic and riding in Mid TN is about it

·
Registered
68 Posts
Here in Maryville,Tn

I'm here too, have lived in Maryville 8 years now. We are lucky folks to live in East Tn, Lots of great riding, great scenery. I have a Vulcan 500, am having tires put on this am. I do alot of riding in this area, and over to NC. So if you'd like to get together and take a ride, just shoot me a note. I am new here, and am glad to be able to become a part of this!! Steve

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm here too, have lived in Maryville 8 years now. We are lucky folks to live in East Tn, Lots of great riding, great scenery. I have a Vulcan 500, am having tires put on this am. I do alot of riding in this area, and over to NC. So if you'd like to get together and take a ride, just shoot me a note. I am new here, and am glad to be able to become a part of this!! Steve
Hey Steve we will! I gotta get some stuff done to my classic I just bought then we (Dad and me) ride quite a bit on weekends. Just over the mountain to Cherokee, the skyway, up to Johnson city. When we get one planned we will shoot ya an email and see if you can go. The more the merrier!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sounds good to me!!

Hey Steve we will! I gotta get some stuff done to my classic I just bought then we (Dad and me) ride quite a bit on weekends. Just over the mountain to Cherokee, the skyway, up to Johnson city. When we get one planned we will shoot ya an email and see if you can go. The more the merrier!
Spent 31/2 hrs today at the bike shop, and only had 1 of my ordered tires, hopefully soon for the other, this is my 1st experience with Alcoa Shop, people where very nice, just very slow, just drop me a note, when your about ready for a ride!! Steve

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Welcome Steve, looks like you already settled in and making riding plans
We'll be passing through Maryville on Monday July12 going to Stecoah NC. Not sure yet if we are going to stroll down 411 to Sweetwater and across the Cherohala Skyway to Robbinsville or down 321 through the middle of some of the worst traffic/drivers in the eastern seaboard. Since we'll be coming through Monday the traffic may be light and G'burg/Cherokee may be the best. Mileage I'll bet there isn't 6 miles difference.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alcoa good times? Ive never had anything done through them, but when we go in they are always nice. I just got tires put on my bike I sold cost $350 for everything and the rear tire was free! Quiet expensive. If you can get the tires off your bike yourself I usually order from "In The Wind" they are in knoxville, and the Cycle Gear in Knoxville Mounts and balances

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome Steve, looks like you already settled in and making riding plans
We'll be passing through Maryville on Monday July12 going to Stecoah NC. Not sure yet if we are going to stroll down 411 to Sweetwater and across the Cherohala Skyway to Robbinsville or down 321 through the middle of some of the worst traffic/drivers in the eastern seaboard. Since we'll be coming through Monday the traffic may be light and G'burg/Cherokee may be the best. Mileage I'll bet there isn't 6 miles difference.
haha this time of year G'Burg is horrible all the time i would definately go the Cherohala skyway over the Dragon any day. This time of year its been really hot, it'll be in the 50's on the skyway so bring jackets. Have a safe trip.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Dragon is still closed, likely will be for several more weeks too. It ranks right up there at about #2 or 3 of my all time most unfavorite places to ride.
Temps there today in G'burg are low 80's, unknown as to Skyway temps.

·
Registered
68 Posts
haha this time of year G'Burg is horrible all the time i would definately go the Cherohala skyway over the Dragon any day. This time of year its been really hot, it'll be in the 50's on the skyway so bring jackets. Have a safe trip.
Hi Bob, have to thank you for the suggestion. As for your trip, the Dragon is still closed this end. You can travel it only from NC side, make it to Chillhowie Lake, then have to turn back, just before you get to Smokey Parkway. and go back through the Dragon again, it is open fro 8am,-8pm, this end was supposed to reopen by the weekend that is apon us, but delays in that happening. Monday does seem good day to travel 441 to Cherokee, and 411 to Cherahaulo is always a good ride. I'm not familiar with Stecoah NC, which part of NC is that? Maybe we'll meet up for lunch? Or maybe I'll take a ride over the mntn with you, Steve

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Dragon is still closed, likely will be for several more weeks too. It ranks right up there at about #2 or 3 of my all time most unfavorite places to ride.
Temps there today in G'burg are low 80's, unknown as to Skyway temps.
Hi Bob, have to thank you for the suggestion. As for your trip, the Dragon is still closed this end. You can travel it only from NC side, make it to Chillhowie Lake, then have to turn back, just before you get to Smokey Parkway. and go back through the Dragon again, it is open fro 8am,-8pm, this end was supposed to reopen by the weekend that is apon us, but delays in that happening. Monday does seem good day to travel 441 to Cherokee, and 411 to Cherahaulo is always a good ride. I'm not familiar with Stecoah NC, which part of NC is that? Maybe we'll meet up for lunch? Or maybe I'll take a ride over the mntn with you, Steve
Read my post above you again Steve, second line actually!. Other than adding miles to my trip the closure affects me only because there will be more people on the other roads now.
Stecoah is on 28, about 14 miles from the state line. If I had knobbies I'd go down Parson Ridge road, 8 miles of hell on a smooth tired Vulcan.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey, we're from Clinton, just a bit north of K'ville.... we ride a LOT on the weekends and would love to hook up with some other riders sometime !!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just a shout out

I found this group on, the web, and ride local, well at least, kinda local, but out of Knoxville area. I rode with this group this past weekend, great folks, a nice ride, about 275 miles, from Seymore, to Mt Pisgah on the Blue Ridge Pkwy, had lunch and returned. Thought I'd throw up the link, for any locals that might want to do some riding in a group, Steve, Maryville-Tn http://www.meetup.com/Knoxville-Riders/

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm in Knoxville. Looking to upgrade to a Vulcan 500 soon. Going to take the motorcycle class again since I've been riding a scooter for almost 3 summers and haven't had to do any shifting. My coworker has a Vulcan too. We're looking for some ladies groups to ride with.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm in Knoxville. Looking to upgrade to a Vulcan 500 soon. Going to take the motorcycle class again since I've been riding a scooter for almost 3 summers and haven't had to do any shifting. My coworker has a Vulcan too. We're looking for some ladies groups to ride with.
What kind of bike do you have BrandiH? Im trying to get my girl into riding and she wants a bike but dunno what to get her.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi Brandi

The post I made also has a group of women riders and beginers, maybe check it out> Steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
scooter

What kind of bike do you have BrandiH? Im trying to get my girl into riding and she wants a bike but dunno what to get her.
I have a 2009 Grand Vista 250, bought new this year with extended warranty. It's got a ton of pep, more horsepower than a Rebel 250 without the hassle of shifting, tons of room under the seat (I will miss that), big enough for two if needed. To get a feel for riding, it's a great starter! I had a 150cc scooter the first 2 summers I rode and upgraded to the 250cc this April but am ready for more now. I've gotten it up to 65 mph and know someone who has gotten it up to 90 mph, so it will go!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts