Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started riding my 2012 Vulcan 900 it has cobra pipes and the baffles are in place it also has a cobra intake I notice ringing in my after riding for a while I do wear a full helmet I am thinking about wearing earplugs when I ride does anyone else wear earplugs when riding?

Thank you

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
I do, often, with or without a helmet.. amazing how much better you can hear!

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
I've worked in factories most of my adult life and am also a musician so I'm no stranger to loud environments. I can tell you from personal experience as well as many years of hearing safety being shoved down the gullet that if you are younger, absolutely wear ear plugs if you want to keep your hearing when you are older. If you are older, again, absolutely wear ear plugs to keep what hearing you have left.
When I was in my early 20's I was stubborn and wouldn't wear my ear protection, especially when on stage playing a show. I now have tinnitus (constant ringing in the ears) and am only 40 years old and seriously regret not listening to the older guys when they would suggest ear plugs.
I now wear them every time I plug my guitar in, and every time I get on my bike. Your ears will thank you! Plus, you'd be surprised how much you can still actually hear with the plugs in, that you might not hear without them.

·
Registered
529 Posts
The wind noise alone is enough to need plugs if you don't want to damage your hearing. Take my advice and get 3m E-A-R classic. They are better than almost any plug on the market. Those cheep-0 orange ones they sell at the store make the low tone "drone" worse. Amazon sells them in all quantities. I buy a case at a time. Use them on the mower, motorcycle, with the leaf blower, weed-eater, shooting. For hunting I use my pro-ears power muffs, but before that I used them for hunting also. Just throw them in real quick before the deer gets in range. They have a 28-29db noise reduction rating which is really good for foam plugs.

I have Scala Rider G-9 powerset, and with the plugs in I still just turn the volume up one notch higher to hear really well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I always wear earplugs. I wear a full face helmet and the wind noise is deafening at highway speeds. I now have a set is Cobra sword swept pipes with baffles and would go deaf without the plugs.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I had a set of custom ear plugs made because the foam ones make my ears itch. They are good for a 30-32 dba reduction. I only wear them about 75% of the time. I tend not to wear them in a group just in case someone needs to talk to me or we make a quick stop. It is too hard to take my full face helmet off to take them out just to put them back in when we hit the road again.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I wore ear plugs on my 900. Do yourself a favor and blow $60 bucks on custom moolded ear plugs. Buy once and you'll understand. They are the best investment I ever made. They fit into your ear canal and reduce noise that hurts, but doesn't impede overall hearing. I wear them shooting, riding, sometimes to ignore my (now ex) wife.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I wear them,especially on longer rides. And definitely when I am wearing my modular helmet. For some strange reason, the sound from my pipes seems to be amplified in the helmet. I also wear them with my half helmet where it's not the noise from my exhaust that gets me, it's the wind noise. Over time that will get my ears ringing --- especially at higher speeds (>50 mph).

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have custom molded ear plugs. Problem is if your helmet is tight at all (which it should be) I have a hard time getting my helmet on and off with them. I actually got stuck in there for a while the first time I tried them. Luckily I was wearing a Shoei with the quick detach chin pieces for the paramedics. I was able to "free myself". If you get custom molded ones then make sure they don't stick out very far or you may have similar issues. The 3m's I suggested in the above post are far superior to custom molded in my opinion. They do lack coolness factor though. Also you can have too much hearing protection. Anything over 30 for me makes important highway sounds (tires screeching behind you) difficult to detect.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
For some strange reason, the sound from my pipes seems to be amplified in the helmet.
This is one reason why I wear a half helmet. I own a full helmet but I end up with a headache after wearing it from how the sound seems to bounce around inside the helmet, even with ear plugs in. The only time I wear the full helmet is when I'm going to be riding in sub 40 degree weather. And even then the trips are short!

G

·
0 Posts
I haven't always worn ear plugs but make an effort now. Ringing in your ears is an indicator of damage, and yes I have ringing constantly. I too have been exposed to loud noises due to work, shooting guns, lawn mowers and various equipment and loud music. Do yourself and the people you want to hear later in life a favor and wear something to save that hearing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I want to thank all of you for the comments I thought it was just me my last bike Suzuki S40 never made my ears ring I haven't had the Vulcan very long was wondering what was going on I ordered the Howard light plugs 33 dBs reduction but I think I am going to have the molded ones made I have to find someone who does them on long island And I do wear a modular helmet

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Bass pro or cabelas has some I have been reading here, that you can old your own in 10 minutes.. any good? I have always used the disposable type

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
I get mine from work. They are OSHA approved and free :)

·
Registered
643 Posts
I use active noise cancelling head phones, use trimmed down 30dB ear plugs for the tip of the ear phones top have a secure fit and block out outside noise. The ear phones are connected to my Sena bluetooth headset. This allows you to hear the headset at a low level, just slightly higher volume level than when stationary.

I used a 4mm biopsy cutting tool to make the hole in the center of the ear plug in order to make an earphone tip.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I used a 4mm biopsy cutting tool to make the hole in the center of the ear plug ...
Biopsy cutting tool. Hmmmmm. I don't remember having one of those in my toolbox. ;)

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts