Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The yellow foam and orange softer ear plugs simply do not drowned out the exhaust notes. Has anyone found better earplugs or have experiance with custom molded ones that are very $$$$$

·
Registered
314 Posts
I didn't have much luck with the foam plugs either. After reading an article in a motorcycle mag a several years back, I ordered active noise cancelling earbuds. What a difference! I'm now on my second set and these are even better than the first set. They run about $60 if I remember right. Well worth it IMO.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you share the model and where you got them.

·
Registered
314 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Here's the earbuds I'm currently using.

https://smile.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-ANC23-QuietPoint-Noise-Cancelling-Headphones/dp/B004K09H32/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1506967942&sr=1-1&keywords=ath-anc

They do a great job of reducing wind noise and exhaust note, while leaving mid-ranges loud enough to hear speaking etc. Currently for $45. If you have after market or modified exhaust I don't know how they'll do. With my stock exhaust on my Nomad they work great.
What about other ambient noises like vehicles, horns, etc?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
314 Posts
What about other ambient noises like vehicles, horns, etc?

I've probably traveled 50,000 miles with these. I've never had a problem hearing speech, traffic, sirens, horns etc. They seem to mostly reduce high-end and low-end, constant noise like wind noise and exhaust. I started using them when I noticed I had developed tinnitus from years of riding without anything. Like I said, the foam didn't work well for me, including hearo's extreme. A plus is I can plug my mp3/phone into them and listen to music when desired.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I've probably traveled 50,000 miles with these. I've never had a problem hearing speech, traffic, sirens, horns etc. They seem to mostly reduce high-end and low-end, constant noise like wind noise and exhaust. I started using them when I noticed I had developed tinnitus from years of riding without anything. Like I said, the foam didn't work well for me, including hearo's extreme. A plus is I can plug my mp3/phone into them and listen to music when desired.
Thanks for the info

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are the "heros" brand ear plugs really any better than the cheap yellow ones? I ask this becuase I don understand how it makes a difference. A plug is a plug as long as it fits good. I can see however it being more comfortable / ergonomic.

I would be happy with an earplug that block most all sounds........as the few that I tried do not block enough of the exhaust.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Are the "heros" brand ear plugs really any better than the cheap yellow ones? I ask this becuase I don understand how it makes a difference. A plug is a plug as long as it fits good. I can see however it being more comfortable / ergonomic.

I would be happy with an earplug that block most all sounds........as the few that I tried do not block enough of the exhaust.
The most significant difference between plugs is the composition of the foam.

I did a little research on the NRR rating and wouldn't you know, it's sort of a BS number. You'd think a "Noise Reduction Rating" of 33 dB would mean in an environment with 93 dB of noise, your ears would be exposed to 60 dB -- but noooooooooooo. To get the ACTUAL noise reduction, you subtract 7 from the NRR figure and divide the result by 2. So an NRR of 33 gives you a magnificent 13 dB of protection. I teach people about dB and I can't figure out how the heck they came up with this cockamamie formula!

Anyway, 33 NRR is the highest rating you can buy, and the Hearos have that rating.

The Audio Technica active plugs don't advertise an NRR, but claim to "reduce background noise up to 90%", which would be a max of 10 dB of reduction, so the Hearos beat them by 3 dB. 3 dB is not insubstantial -- each 3 dB of reduction cuts the energy delivered to your ear in half.

What you don't want is plugs designed specifically for shooters. Those have a mechanism in them to allow sound through unless it is a very sharp sound -- technically, one with a steep wavefront. They're great for shooters, terrible for motorcyclists. Unless, of course, you are shooting while you ride, in which case I have a couple of local four-wheelers I'd like to talk to you about. :grin2:

·
Registered
314 Posts

I didn't care for the Heroes. The Xtreme ones are very large and bulky and were uncomfortable in my ears. They seemed to do a slightly better job than the cheap yellow ones. I still prefer my active noise cancelling earbuds.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I use silicone putty ear plugs. They offer good noise attenuation, stay in place, and are very comfortable. They are reusable until they get dirty / nasty. I believe one brand is Macs but I use generic ones that are available from drugstores, walmart, ect. They come as disks a little larger than a nickel and a bit over 1/4" thick. They come in a box of 8-10 pieces (?).

Just don't make the mistake I once did by using only one disk for both ears by dividing in half - and don't insert them too deep. That worked for a while and left less extending to be grabbed when donning the helmet. However, when removing one, it separated - leaving a small chunk in my ear canal. Had to go to a doctor to have it extracted. It only took a moment for the doc to grab and remove it, but it did require a doc visit :(

Woody

·
Registered
165 Posts
I use Howard Leight Laser Lites. They block a great deal of wind noise and I can still hear traffic, engine, and my music through my Sena.

·
Registered
248 Posts
After years of drag racing and working in a shop with impact tools, I don't need to worry about road noise. It's all just a low rumble to me.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I use the yellow or blue shooters earplugs. I run the blue cord through my helmet liner so I always have them available & don't lose more. Wind noise WILL rob your hearing. Gotta use plugs deep, not just helmet or latex fillers. Noise get through in back of your ears too. Avoid the ringing I have after 40+ years riding & shooting.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts