Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Full-face modular helmet. I almost always ride with sunglasses on and the face shield up. I have a Cardo-Scala intercom system with helmet speakers which I use to listen to my Ipod while riding. I wear earplugs sometimes. If most of my day's riding is on 60 MPH or less, I probably don't put in earplugs. If I know I'm going to be on the freeway, or on a windy day, then I put some in.

I have found though, that a long day with earplugs gives me a low-grade headache, unless the earplugs are very soft.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
cdg, got me some spensive hearing aids work like ear plugs, jus push lil button an the world goes away (Riddens) don't miss it any much. silence is very underrated!

·
Banned
102 Posts
Always

I always wear earplugs. I get them in bulk off of Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Earplugs-Uncorded-NRR33/dp/B0013A0C0Y/ref=lp_2593719011_1_8?srs=2593719011&ie=UTF8&qid=1335748426&sr=8-8

200 pair for right around $20. I can get a week or so out of a pair before I toss them. 200 pair usually lasts me a year between shooting trap, riding, mowing, etc.

I've watched my uncles, father-in-law, and my dad all get harder and harder of hearing as they've gotten older. I practically have to yell at my father-in-law nowadays. None of them ever took hearing protection seriously. My dad hunted since he was a kid and was in the Air Force for 8 years. My father-in-law rode motorcycles his whole life and worked in a fab shop as a welder until he retired this year.

None of them can hear very well and it does affect their quality of life enough to be noticeable. :(

I'm probably a little on the extreme side of hearing protection -I wear ear muffs when I'm working with air tools, my shop vac, vacuuming the house. and I wear plugs when I shoot, ride, mow, etc. My ears are every bit as important to me as my eyes. I wear a full-face and even at 60 with plugs I think the wind is still noisy. Just tonight I rode home from my mom and dad's and my left plug wasn't pushed in quite all the way. After 35 miles when I got home I can definitely tell my left ear is affected.

It all adds up over time. A gunshot here, rock concert there, long MC ride - do that for 30 or 40+ years and it'll catch up to a person. :cool:

·
Registered
48 Posts
A must for freeway riding. I use the foam type that you squeeze and fit in the ear. I'll eventually buy some custom molded plugs. You DON'T get your hearing back, so it's just not worth it to be too cool to wear plugs.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Run over the top of em,, say what?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
A must for freeway riding. I use the foam type that you squeeze and fit in the ear. I'll eventually buy some custom molded plugs. You DON'T get your hearing back, so it's just not worth it to be too cool to wear plugs.
same goes for yor noggin. Too kool for helmet.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I wear earplugs for anything other than a quick errand or short trip around town. Even with a full face helmet (shield usually open) and a fairing I wear plugs more often than not. I've spent most of my life around loud things and have always been aware of protecting my hearing.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
the lady at the ear store... Not really, hearing dr. says this next gen is will become the most loss of hearing because of all the exposure to loud music especially with ear buds.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Used to ride with canal ear phones which did a very good job of knocking out wind noise. Recently started using a Bluetooth headset that has helmet speakers. I am going to start with earplugs again to help knock down the wind noise.

R-man check out some low pressure ear plugs that is what I used to wear when I rode and it made a huge difference to me. My personal favorite were the low pressure style buy Howard Leight. I discovered those through work when ear plugs were a daily necessity while working in a plant and they had to be put in and removed numerous times throughout the day.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Beanie helmets are for those who want injuries when they crash. Or maybe just want to die, or don't think it will ever happen to them.

I usually ride with either custom made ear plugs with special filters in them (I can still hear conversation), or I wear full ear plugs that were custom made or plain old foam ear plugs, usually Mac's brand or what I get from the work wear store.

Helmet: I have a 3/4 helmet but lately have been using an Arai full face because my eyes have been getting dried out from air on them. I am a retired road racer and believe the full face helmet is the best one to use. I have seen too many people wearing peanut shell helmets die from crashes.

I find I can concentrate better on riding with ear plugs, but I don't wear them all the time. If it is a short ride I am less likely to use them.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
You can get these at wallymart and they are cheap. These are foam. You roll the end between fingers and after you place in ear canal, they expand. You can hear fine, it simply muffles wind and pipes. You can use them a few times before tossing them. I've used these for years every night due to being very light sleeper.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Blocking out excessive noise I understand is good & necessary, but I find that I tend to speed up quite a bit w/o realizing it. Have to really watch the speedo.

·
Registered
259 Posts
am agreez!

not to mention that it's also more comfortable. forget your earplugs one day and you'll be dead tired after the same ride that you've done even a million times before.

just make sure it fits ya well

·
Registered
684 Posts
Chris, what kind of canal ear phones do you use ? I am thinking of getting some of those and modifying the wiring to my helmet speakers so I can plug in some ear phones and get both the intercom/Ipod and wind noise protection too. I looked at some that were around $100, but couldn't bring myself to part with that much $$ for them.

And thanks, I will check out those low pressure ear plugs too.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I've been wearing earplugs more and more , especially if it's windy out. I just use the ones I shoot with , as many have mentioned you squeeze em , put them in and they expand to your ear canal.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Chris, what kind of canal ear phones do you use ? I am thinking of getting some of those and modifying the wiring to my helmet speakers so I can plug in some ear phones and get both the intercom/Ipod and wind noise protection too. I looked at some that were around $100, but couldn't bring myself to part with that much $$ for them.

And thanks, I will check out those low pressure ear plugs too.
I've used a couple of pair but the pair I was the happiest with and had been using most recently are Sony MDR ex 58. They have a very small housing and are very low profile inside the helmet. I had much more luck replacing the rubber ear pieces with foam ones as the rubber ones always wanted to allow them to fall out.

While these don't have the sound quality of some of the higher end 100+ in ear phones they worked quite well for me. The volume control on the cord was handy as well because it was more convenient for me to reach and control volume than the Ipod in my pocket. You can pick up a pair for under $30 I was getting Comply foam tips at Radio Shack for about $12 for a 3 pack.

http://tinyurl.com/84j9bor

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Anything above 85 decibels(? Pretty sure that's the number) will cause permanent damage if sustained. Freeway wind noise, loud pipes, etc. all do that.

I wear earplugs anytime I'm going more than just a few miles. I use the squeeze/roll up stick in kind.

I wear a full face. I really like it, more than just the protection from a crash, every time some 300 pound bug smacks my face I just smile and remember why I like full face helmets so much :D Don't own anything else actually.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts