Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had back-to-back ear infections recently, one media and one externa, both left side. They've resolved and my hearing is back to normal, but now when I ride with my Laser Lite plugs in, my ears start hurting like hell after about 20 minutes and take several hours to recover after removal. My helmet (RF-1200) is by far the quietest I've ever used, but I'd still like to keep the wind noise down as much as possible. Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Nope. I've never minded the sound. Mine isn't a particularly loud bike. As for the rest of the noise, to me that's just part of the experience.

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
Which Laser lite plugs ? If the soft foam plugs are hurting then you may want to try external sound suppression. Denser foam behind the ear pads??

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which Laser lite plugs ? If the soft foam plugs are hurting then you may want to try external sound suppression. Denser foam behind the ear pads??
The soft yellow & pink plugs. Been using them forever with no issues at all until recently. I have a Sena receiver on my lid so removed the earcup pads.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Since you wear a FF helmet, how about adding a device to the bottom of the helmet to better seal off your neck around the helmet. I think Quiet Rider is the brand name.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since you wear a FF helmet, how about adding a device to the bottom of the helmet to better seal off your neck around the helmet. I think Quiet Rider is the brand name.
RF-1200 includes a very good chin curtain, but thanks for the suggestion. I have a good seal all the way around.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I use pinlock earplugs, I clean them with alcohol after every ride.

There is a reason the soft foam plugs are disposable.

Also make sure your ears aren’t folding when you put your lid on, have that trouble with my GT-Air

Saddle up and feel the wind in your Helmet! ATGATT

·
Registered
360 Posts
I use pinlock earplugs, I clean them with alcohol after every ride.
+1 on the pinlock earplugs. On the first use I noticed they were not as tight fitting as the foam plugs. I didn't have that contact outward pressure in my ear canal which made them more comfortable for me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I never had any luck with the one size fits all expanding foam ear plugs. I like to chew gum when I ride...lol and expanding foam ear plugs tend to work loose. I highly recommend trying Radians custom molded ear plugs. These are do it yourself custom molded ear plugs not the expensive kind that's made in a lab from a mold of your ear. They're available at Sportsmans Warehouse in the ear protection section and only cost about ten bucks.

Tech23

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I never had any luck with the one size fits all expanding foam ear plugs. I like to chew gum when I ride...lol and expanding foam ear plugs tend to work loose. I highly recommend trying Radians custom molded ear plugs. These are do it yourself custom molded ear plugs not the expensive kind that's made in a lab from a mold of your ear. They're available at Sportsmans Warehouse in the ear protection section and only cost about ten bucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTNOaVd67kY

Tech23

If you can chew gum, your helmet is too loose

Saddle up and feel the wind in your Helmet! ATGATT

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi
I tried a couple of different cheap and more expensive ear plugs from Amazon and nothing worked. Always after several hours, they all hurt. I finally paid for the custom ear plugs, DB Blockers, and Smart Hearing were the two I looked at. It was expensive, I paid $120 Canadian. However, I now wish I had just gone with the custom ones to begin with. They apparently will last about 5 years and in the end, may be cheaper than other solutions. These are super comfortable, easy to put in, I picked a bright color in case I dropped them. And they work great. And, with the custom, I was able to choose motorcycle specific ear plugs in order to hear the traffic noises and just block the wind, etc.. Also my SENA communication system works even better with the ear plugs!

Even though I think my bike is quiet, for all day touring, I really needed good ear plugs as I found the wind noise can be very fatiguing. As well, they say over time you can suffer hearing loss as a motorcyclist just from the wind noise. I almost never ride without them now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I get pain after a while with those yellow earplugs that are barrel shaped, flat on both ends with a 90 degree edge. No problem with the plugs that are curved on the end you insert.
Don't twist the earplugs before inserting. After expanding it has small channels created by the twisting which diminishes the effectiveness of the plugs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Before I picked up the Radians custom molded ear plugs I was using cotton balls. I'd cut one cotton ball into 4 smaller pieces and keep them in a film canister on the bike. For me they were more comfortable than foam and silicone rubber dart style ear plugs.

I already have hearing damage...occupational hearing loss and tinnitus. The tinnitus is from wearing a half helmet and the wind buffeting those style helmets set up. Hearing loss is gradual, if you think you aren't experiencing hearing loss or hearing damage from riding you might be wrong. I think everyone gets ringing in their ears occasionally, most often from a loud noise...then one day the ringing starts and never goes away. Do yourself a favor wear whatever ear protection is comfortable for you because some hearing protection is better than none and ear plugs that aren't comfortable more often than not don't get used as much as a more comfortable ear plug.

Tech23

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone,
I wanted to ask an earplug related question.

I was wondering when you ride with earplugs, are you completely buffered from the outside sounds? I don't want to exclude my hearing when I ride, especially in the city, in case I need to hear a horn or a motorist passing by; but I do want to save my hearing, especially when I commute.

My question is, is it less safe riding with earplugs?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi
My custom earplugs allow me to hear all the traffic noises, honking, talking at the gas station, engine shifting and revs. They do block wind noise, and other fatiguing noises. I just came back from a 3 day road trip with 4 ferries, and even on the 30 minute ride between ferries, I used my earplugs. I am never without them. I feel I am safer with my earplugs and as I said in my other post, the communication system is clearer and easier to hear with the earplugs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts